INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Server/System based on MC20, phone-sized remote, FLAC library - How?  (Read 2420 times)

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

I'd like to set up a music server/system that would use MC20, accessed on a phone-sized device, to play my FLAC library through a Peachtree DAC iTx.  I'm very familiar with PCs and audio tech, but I've not been able to quickly figure out the best way(s) to accomplish this.  Any information/suggestions would be appreciated!

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

I just discovered the JRemote app.  Would using this app on my iPod Touch, with Airport Express and a Mac Mini, both of which I would have to purchase, be a good way to accomplish this?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

I'd like to set up a music server/system that would use MC20, accessed on a phone-sized device, to play my FLAC library through a Peachtree DAC iTx.  I'm very familiar with PCs and audio tech, but I've not been able to quickly figure out the best way(s) to accomplish this.  Any information/suggestions would be appreciated!

ALthough you can get it to work, I'd avoid airport express. Some functions via Airport/DLNA may (euh probably will) cause issues - at best the initial configuration is going to be a bit more complicated. Not sure the peachtree will support gapless playback via Airport for example. Best to use JRiver as the renderer. JRemote is a great controller.  Is this just for audio or are you thinking video too? Will your media be on a NAS, external USB drives, local drives only?

This is just totally personal opinion  :) There are a lot of MAC lovers and Linux lovers around, and I'm going to get flamed and flogged for saying this

- however, if you are already really a power user with PCs and Audio, I'd stick with Windows (silent HTPC or NUC or the JRiver ID. - lots of miniaturized solutions available/or soon to be);
- JRemote via WIFI (not airport express).
- Direct connection between Renderer/Media Server. You can run this headless (no monitor; although you should have one available for initial config).

It reads like you already own a touch .. if not maybe an mini ipad or a standard ipad (used through e-bay for me! relatively recent one though for IOS8+) might be nice for the extra screen real estate. I Use my iphone and an ipad, though so both work  -- didn't know it worked for touch model, thats cool.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for your informative reply.  A few points in response:

•   I realize that gapless playback was just one example you were using, but I will mention that gapless playback (which is important to others here, I know) is not a concern of mine.
•   I would be installing/using MC20 on the Mac mini.  That addresses your point about using JRiver as the renderer, right?
•   I would be using this system for audio only.
•   My media files would be stored only on a local drive (e.g., Mac mini), connected to the Peachtree DAC iTx.
•   Given that I would not be using this system for video, it seems that an HTPC is probably not the most appropriate choice in this case.  As for the NUC devices, unlike the Mac mini, a quick look on the Web suggests that even the ones that are already assembled (i.e., not the kits) don’t come with an OS pre-installed.  That’s certainly not a deal-breaker for me, but at the moment, I’d prefer to avoid the time/expense of installing the OS.  

As you’ve correctly inferred, I do already own the iPod Touch, and although the iPad mini would be nice, I’d prefer not to spend the money on the iPad at this time.

I do generally much prefer Windows, as I’ve been using it intensively for 25+ years, but since I discovered the JRemote app after my first post last night, and because the JRemote app works with the Touch, which I already own, it seems as that staying with Apple for the server OS/hardware makes sense, and in turn, that using AirPort Express makes sense.  Having said that, what issues are you thinking I might have with AirPort Express?  And given that I plan to use the iPod Touch, which supports JRemote, would you still say that the initial configuration of AirPort Express is going to be “a bit more complicated”?

If there are any points here that you or anyone else think I’m missing, please let me know.  Any advice is much appreciated!

George

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

FWIW, today I set up a music server using a Mac mini, AirPort Express, and JRemote on my iPod Touch.  It works.if the Mac mini and AirPort Express are connected to the Internet; otherwise, not.  I prefer that my Mac mini and AirPort Express not be connected to the Internet, because I don't need Internet functionality to accomplish my goals for a music server, and so a requirement for these devices to have Internet connections is just an unwanted complication.  

I'm wondering if this might be due the system needing a constant connection to JRemote servers, though the JRemote website indicates that the Internet connection is needed only when setting up a new media server.  I'd welcome any input from this forum about my inability to connect to my music server via JRemote when the hardware is not connected to the Internet, but I'll post about this specific JRemote question on the Remotes Third Party forum.

Edited: May 1. See subsequent post here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97206.msg671352#msg671352
Pages: [1]   Go Up