INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Columns to be Displayed  (Read 7653 times)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Columns to be Displayed
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:04:44 pm »

In standard view I am trying to select the columns MC displays when Shows is selected in the tree.
By default it includes columns like Artist and does not include Season or Episode so I thought I would customise it to what I prefer. All OK so far.
If I do this for the columns visible with "Show" selected and after you double click the program cover art that sticks OK
But if I now do this again for the columns displayed  when you select a program under shows in the tree it resets the columns I just setup above.
You can go back a forth editing these columns and each one resets the other.

Can anyone help me

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Columns to be Displayed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:04 am »

Each Media View can have its own set of columns.  However, you cannot have different column sets "within" a view.  So, I'm not sure what this means:

But if I now do this again for the columns displayed  when you select a program under shows in the tree it resets the columns I just setup above.

But, if what you mean is you want a different set of columns for an individual [Series], once opened, within the Shows view, then this is not possible.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:23:52 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I know I haven't explained my issue well so let me try again.
Using the default standard view. Select Video in the LHS tree, then select Shows.
On the RHS I see my shows displayed as thumbnails, one for each show.
If I now double click one of those thumbnails I then see a details list of all the episodes for that show below the thumbnails.
This list has default columns of Name, Artist, Keywords, Rating, Dimensions, Date, etc.
If I now right click on these column headings I am able to unselect the columns I don't want like Artist and select ones I do like Season & Episode.
I can now close MC and reopen and the columns I chose are still listed as I wanted.
If I now click the arrow to the left of Shows in the LHS tree I see my shows listed in the tree and if I now select a show from this list in the tree I see a details view of the episodes for that show on the RHS but with the default columns of  Name, Artist, Keywords, Rating, etc again not my previously modified list.
BUT if I now right click on these column headings and alter the selection of columns here when I go back and look at the previous details list under the thumbnails view by just selecting shows in the tree again it has been reset back to the defaults again i.e. not the column headings I chose before. And you can go round and round in circles adjusting one then finding the other as been reset to defaults.

Hope this makes sense.

P.S. to be clear I am not trying to have different selections of columns in these views in fact I am trying to make them the same but editing one appears to clear all the modifications I made to the other.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »

If I now right click on these column headings I am able to unselect the columns I don't want like Artist and select ones I do like Season & Episode.
I can now close MC and reopen and the columns I chose are still listed as I wanted.

Navigate to a different view in the Tree after making your changes and MC will save the changes.  Some Media Views can be locked, and they'll prompt you to save changes (but not until you navigate away to a different View in the Tree).

To edit the Media Views' options, right click on the view in the Tree and choose Customize View.  In the Settings panel on the right hand side of the Customize View dialog, you can choose from a variety of different options. The lock toggle is at Settings > Advanced > Lock View, but even if it is locked, it'll ask you to save changes when you navigate away.

If you immediately close MC with the view still open, it might not save the changes.  Not sure, I'd have to test.

Also, please note that you cannot alter any Media Views from a Media Network Client (a copy of MC connected to a Library served by another copy of MC).  To make changes like this, you must do it on the server itself.  Any changes made by a Client are lost when you close and re-launch the Client.  From Clients, if authentication is enabled, you can make tag changes to files in the Library, and add and modify Playlists, but you can't alter the Media Views or structure of the Library itself in any way.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »

If I now click the arrow to the left of Shows in the LHS tree I see my shows listed in the tree

This is called Tree Browsing and it can be enabled and disabled on a per-view basis in the Customize View dialog described above. They browse the Categories added to the view, just like the "thumbnails" you described above (which is the [Series] Category).

The Columns are remembered per-view, and it remembers the specific columns you add, their size/width (if auto-sizing is not enabled), and their order.  They should be, anyway.  As I mentioned, you can't do it from a Client copy of MC, and the changes don't "save" until you pick some other view (any other view) in the Tree.

If that isn't working, then it is possible you have opened your Library in Read-Only mode or something.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »

Hi Giynor,
Again thanks for the detailed reply and useful information.
Unfortunately it does not sort out my issue
I am trying this on the main library of MC so not using a client server setup.
When I change the selection of columns in either of the details views and move to another view I am not prompted to save even if I chose to lock the view in customize settings. But either customization is remembered even after I restart my PC. The only point it gets reset back to defaults is if I try and customize the other selection of columns in the other view, then it immediately resets the other view.
If you find the time would it be possible for you to follow the steps I outlined in my second post, then you may see the same behavior that I am.
Thanks
Paul

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:13:14 pm »

I've done this many times.   ;D

If it is doing that, something is messed up.  To be clear, I cannot reproduce that.  I'm not 100% sure on some of your terms, though, so we might need more information.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

I haven't followed all the details but is this possibly related to the Use Parent Scheme Rules for File Display option in Customize View.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »

That only impacts the Search used by the View.

I'll test Tree Browsing.  I honestly don't use Tree Browsing basically anywhere anymore (I used to be the biggest fan but not anymore).  Who knows.  Could be something buggy lurking.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 03:42:27 pm »

As an experiment I have created a fresh copy of windows in a virtual machine then downloaded and installed the latest stable version of MC
and added a couple of music albums to its library. Then tried editing the columns as before and I still see the same behavior. So I am at a loss to know what to do now.   

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 04:29:03 pm »

I'll take a look and see what I can reproduce tonight.

If you can give me specific, numbered, step-by-steps, maybe even with screenshots, that would help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 12:15:31 am »

Okay. I did some testing.  You were right and I was wrong, but there is a specific set of conditions under which it happens.

It is broken.  However, the Columns only get wacky if the View in question is a Category-Style View, with Tree Browsing enabled. If it is a Panes Style view, it works "right" (the columns for the View are the columns for the View, whether you're using Tree Browsing or Panes, or whatever).

But, if you do have a View that uses both Categories and Tree Browsing, then it... Acts crazy:

* The column sets for the file lists inside the Categories are independent from the ones in the Tree Browsing items.
* If you alter the column sets for the "top" of the View (looking at the categories), then it "resets" the columns for the Tree Browsing items back to the default set.
* You can fix the ones under the Tree Browsing items, and it sticks, but remains independent of the "top" of the View.
* But, if you change the top of the View again, manually (again, presets don't cause this), then it again "resets" the changes you made to your Tree Browsing column set back to the defaults.

It is busted. It should work just like the Panes.  The column-set for the View is the column set for the View, and it doesn't matter if you're Tree Browsing or using the Categories, they always match.

But in that specific circumstance, it is busted. There have been a bunch of column-set related issues we've been playing whack-a-mole with, and I guess this is another one. I would have never noticed because I don't use Tree Browsing for any Category-style Views at all.

I made a demo screencast:
https://vimeo.com/127331399

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:49 am »

Thanks so much for confirming that behavior it was driving me crazy.
I am a fairly new user of MC, hence I don't know all the correct terms for things.
I am also just beginning to explore what is possible with this program so started my adjusting the default views.
Using Categories with Tree Browsing is what MC appears to default to when first installed, I will explore some of the alternatives.

Paul

JimLZ

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:04 pm »

Has this issue ever been fixed? I use Category views with Tree Browsing enabled. What I found is that just clicking on the top level view (without even changing the column layout) resets the column display back to defaults.

I did save my column layout to a preset so I can always select that preset. But every time I want to use that view it resets back to default.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 03:23:49 am »

Unfortunately this issue is still present in MC 21.0.23.
Not sure on the official procedure for posting bugs.
I've mentioned it a few times when new versions have been posted but received no positive response.

BradATIMA

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:58:43 am »

I believe this may be an issue I was looking at a while ago. If I am following this correctly, there might be a way to work around this that I posted a while ago, but I believe it got locked in an older thread.

To work around this, try setting the columns displayed the way you want. Once you have the columns you want displayed setup, save that as a preset (it's an option in the same menu that you use to select which columns to display). Now, when you want to setup the columns the other way, load the preset you just created instead of manually selecting the columns. Hopefully this works for now.

JimLZ

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:53:18 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your suggestion and was able to save a preset, however it doesn't seem to get stored with the view. Every time I open the view it switches back to the default column layout and I have to select my preset again.

BradATIMA

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »

Sorry for the slow reply. That was an interesting issue. I am guessing that you have column auto sizing turned on. As a test, try turning off column auto sizing and then using the column presets. For some reason, column auto sizing seems to prevent the presets from sticking.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 07:55:42 am »

Ahh, that explains why I still find my column selections being reset all the time.
All you have to do is alter the width of a column, to view something better, and it resets the other views column selection back to it default.
Any chance of this bug being fixed?

Ultraviolet13

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 09:15:30 am »

Yes, please try and fix this. I use a standard view most of the time when updating and browsing my audio library and constantly having to go back and reselect a Preset has been a major irritation.

I am guessing that you have column auto sizing turned on. As a test, try turning off column auto sizing and then using the column presets. For some reason, column auto sizing seems to prevent the presets from sticking.

This has helped. Thanks.  :)  I've spent hours trying to get Presets to stick.   >:(

But it would be even better if changing a column width didn't undo the Preset. I guess what I would expect is that once you've selected your Preset it is the overriding Default view and doesn't revert to the 'System Default' each time you change something.

Pages: [1]   Go Up