INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: auto-import versus different libraries  (Read 1666 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
auto-import versus different libraries
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:14 am »

Please help me understand how 'auto-import' should be used for different libraries.  I use 2 different libraries to manage media files located in independent locations:

• My primary library used for all type of media files, music, podcasts, and video movies and Tv shows... and
  • An alternate library that manages music files and playlists only, which are local files that will mirror a portable drive destined for my Audi.

The Primary library has 3 auto-import locations defined, and the Audi library only has 1, and all locations are independent.

The problem is I'm noticing files that should be in the primary, ending up in the Audi library, and I believe I've traced the source of this problem to the auto-import definitions.  That is, when I load the Audi library after the primary, the auto-import definitions for the primary get carried over (thus loading primary media).  If I  delete those auto-import locations from the Audi library, import from a single location used for the Audi files, backup the library, and then load the primary library, the auto-import locations are gone(??!!)  Why doesn't each library remember the auto-import locations??

I am loading each library via 'File=>Library=>[library_name]' (as opposed to using 'restore'). Am I not able to use auto-import while trying to use MC20 for managing separate libraries?? ... please advise ...

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: auto-import versus different libraries
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 12:51:46 pm »

Auto-Import watched folders are Library specific, and you can have separate sets of watched folders for each Library.

However, this can get botched up if the GUID for the two Libraries matches. This can happen if you copied the Library yourself (in Windows Explorer or whatever) in order to make the second copy (or restored a backup from one to the other), instead of using the Clone function of the Library Manager to create the duplicate.

If you are duplicating a Library, always use the clone function.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 12:58:13 pm »

It is easy enough to fix, by the way. Just pick one of them and clone it to a new location on disk.

If you want to move it back to the original location, then:

1. Clone it over to a new disk location (to fix the GUID issue).
2. Make a Library Backup of the cloned Library.
3. Delete both the "original" (the one you cloned to "fix") and the cloned Library out of MC's Library Manager.
4. Find the location where you want to store the Library on disk, and delete any contents so that the folder is empty.
5. Add a new blank Library to MC and point it at the folder where you want the Library to live.
6. Restore the backup you made in Step 2 using the Library Manager.  Make sure NOT to restore settings, just the Library data.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

shAf

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:41:39 pm »

It is easy enough to fix, by the way. Just pick one of them and clone it to a new location on disk.

Thanks Glynor ... however, I do not remember  creating either library via external copying--it just seems like the hard way to go.  Both libraries were created by MC19, and I've forgotten if installing MC20 immediately recognized what MC19 had created, or maybe I found a way to inappropriately read the alternate library(?)

I'll clone the Audi library, redefine the auto-import functions for both, and get back if there are any problems.

Cheers!! :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up