INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VOB file playback issues w/ drives over 2TB and Windows DVD Navigator  (Read 4053 times)

twb1000

• Junior Woodchuck

Follow up and conclusion to previous thread on playback issues.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97832.0

So I did purchase a 2 TB external drive and loaded all the VOB files on it and everything plays fine.  My computer is a windows 8 with software factory loaded.  

The issue seems to be with Windows DVD navigator and external or network drives (apparently it is not an issue with internal drives).
I am guessing this a Microsoft problem yet to be resolved (if ever - perhaps in windows 10).

The most useful information on this issue can be found here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8d6a6b00-96e1-463d-b9b7-065b27c8dc82/windows-media-player-freezes-when-playing-an-ifovob-dvd-on-a-seagate-3tb-drive-but-plays-ok-when?forum=w7itpromedia

The issue seemed to be somewhat of a "curve ball"; hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Thanks for the help Glynor and Jim; it got me looking in the right direction.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

This is infact a known problem with the Microsoft DVD Navigator, and personally I don't expect it to ever be resolved. In fact, its far more likely that the DVD Navigator will simply not exist in Windows 10 anymore.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the note. I'll get it added to the DVD Ripping page on the wiki.

For the record, I'm with Hendrik.  They probably won't fix it. In fact, my guess would be from the specificity that it happens only with external drives?  They did it on purpose. One possible solution would be to use MakeMKV to convert those IFO/VOB rips to MKV files, which won't require the DVD Navigator to play properly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator

It also happens with internal drives over 2TB afaik. But for all they care, it works on optical disc playback, which is what they aim at.

We've been talking about options when MS does in fact decide to not ship the DVD Navigator with Windows 10 at all. I don't think we'll be implementing our own DVD menu support, so it'll likely end up being similar to Blu-ray support (plain title playback).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

The 2TB cutoff is the line between legacy MBR partitioning support and drives requiring GPT partitioning, and that may be part of the story.  Windows used to have pretty spotty GPT support (In XP and Vista), and DVD Navigator may be a component that just never got "fixed," possibly by design.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team

The 2TB cutoff is the line between legacy MBR partitioning support and drives requiring GPT partitioning
My drives are internal an are either 3TB OR 6TB. They are GPT and I have no issues with playing DVD rips in MC.

I don't think we'll be implementing our own DVD menu support, so it'll likely end up being similar to Blu-ray support (plain title playback)
I prefer blu-ray without menus, so it should be fine for dvd too.

My drives are internal an are either 3TB OR 6TB. They are GPT and I have no issues with playing DVD rips in MC.
Are you ripping to VOB/IFO, or ISO files? I have no issues with ISO files on disks of any size when mounted via Virtual Clone Drive.

I prefer blu-ray without menus, so it should be fine for dvd too.
As do I, except when you encounter discs which require menu support for subtitles to work correctly.
This seemed to be a more common practice with DVDs than Blu-ray. I have a number of discs that I have to keep as ISO for the subtitles to work, rather than being able to rip them to MKV as I would prefer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Are you ripping to VOB/IFO, or ISO files? I have no issues with ISO files on disks of any size when mounted via Virtual Clone Drive.

Yeah, it's only when the DVD Navigator "sees" the full partition size. When you mount an ISO, then DVD Navigator only sees the "disc" in an "optical drive".

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team

I rip to hard disc folder, so VOB/IFO.

As do I, except when you encounter discs which require menu support for subtitles to work correctly
Interesting, I have never had a a rip that required a menu for subtitle support.

Interesting, I have never had a a rip that required a menu for subtitle support.
If the film is entirely one language, it's generally not a problem.
It's when the film uses many languages and is only supposed to subtitle the non-primary language that it becomes problematic.

Without menu support you either have all subtitles or no subtitles, rather than only getting subtitles for the (for example) non-English parts.
With Blu-ray it seems more common to either have the subtitles burned into the video (a practice I am not a fan of) or to have a completely separate subtitle track which only contains subtitles for the non-English parts.
With DVD it seems to have been more common to have a single English subtitle track, and the menus control whether it is played in its entirety, or selectively enabled/disabled.

It does still happen with Blu-ray though, that method of handling it just seems to be less frequently used.
And it's not just the low budget indie European films which are affected - the last disc I remember this being a problem was The Mummy of all films, since it mixes English, Arabic, and Ancient Egyptian - basically unwatchable for us without having subtitles on for the entire film. Though I don't personally mind it, I think we ended up watching something else.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

We're kinda way off the deep end here in this thread, but... Alternatively, I've found every time I've encountered one of these types of films (at least popular ones), some nerd on the Internet has already done the hard work, and you can usually find a SRT for "English Forced" with a quick Google search.

Download it. Remux it into the MKV. Done.  ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up