INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPC Audio (WDM Driver) stalls indefinitely  (Read 2903 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
IPC Audio (WDM Driver) stalls indefinitely
« on: May 31, 2015, 09:53:59 am »

After solving the installation issues that I've been having recently, I have started to make more use of the WDM Driver again, which has one issue remaining that prevents me from using it as my default sound device:
If the playback device is busy, IPC will stall on "Opening..." indefinitely.

Test conditions:
  • Have a Zone Switch rule which routes IPC to its own zone (Zone A) that plays to your sound device (DAC A) with exclusive access.
  • Play audio in a separate zone (Zone B) that plays to the same sound device (DAC A) with exclusive access.
  • Play audio in some other application on the PC to the WDM Driver e.g. a YouTube video in a web browser.
  • Stop playback in Zone B.

Expected result:
  • Audio Plays in Zone B.
  • IPC tries to play in Zone A but stalls, because the device is busy.
  • When playback in Zone B is stopped, IPC audio starts/resumes in Zone A.

Actual result:
  • Audio Plays in Zone B.
  • IPC tries to play in Zone A but stalls, because the device is busy.
  • When playback in Zone B is stopped, IPC remains stuck on "Opening..." indefinitely.
  • The only way to get IPC audio playing is to either stop the system audio for 5-10 seconds, or manually stop playback in Zone A—at which point it immediately starts playing system audio.

To be clear: I am aware that MC has "stop rules" for Zone Switch.
The way I have it configured is that any Audio/Video playback inside Media Center is allowed to interrupt IPC playback.
However IPC playback should never be able to interrupt existing Audio/Video playback. (e.g. system audio plays for a background alert and stops your movie)

This one issue is all that remains from making WDM operation seamless.
I don't know what would be the best solution for this, but perhaps any time a stop command is issued—either manually or from a playlist finishing—MC could check to see if IPC is stuck in this "Opening..." state?
Or perhaps it should time-out after 5-10 seconds of not being able to open? As noted above, when I manually stop this stalled "Opening..." instance of IPC, system audio seems to resume immediately.
I don't know which solution would be more resource intensive, or if retrying every 5-10 seconds might cause playback issues during a track change, if it just happens to catch the brief moment between two tracks perhaps.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: IPC Audio (WDM Driver) stalls indefinitely
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:49:31 am »

I can confirm that I see the exact same behavior, in every detail. I don't run into it often, so I often don't realize what the issue is for a few seconds, which makes it a pain.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:58:01 am »

I split and merged Spike1000's stuff back over to his thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97913.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:59:36 am »

Bumping this because it continues to be a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up