INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray Music custom field- need help creating rules to not show in Movies view  (Read 3591 times)

WolfAudioSystems

• Recent member
  • It can always sound better

Hey Guys,

I was just reading up on the Media Sub Type locked down discussion and got the idea to use a custom field for the BDMV's that are BD-A discs.  I need to leave their Media Sub Type as "Movie" for the ability to search online databases for cover art, but I don't want the BD-A items showing up in my Bluray Movie View.

What do I need to put in "Set Rules For File Display" so that the items marked 'Bluray Audio' in the Custom field do not show up?

I got it to work the other way, where Custom - Bluray Audio Shows up where it is supposed to, that was simple, but there is not a "NOT BLURAY AUDIO" that i can use.

EDIT - I have looked through the Wiki and cannot find or figure out how to go about this...  If someone could give me the line or the command I need to use, I would really appreciate it!
Wolf Audio Systems - Wolf Alpha II - Audiophile HTPC
Arcam AVR450 - Ayre Codex - Kef R series - Tributaries Series 8 Cabling

WolfAudioSystems

• Recent member
  • It can always sound better

I have done more digging, and have tried several things without success.  I will outline my methods here in the hopes that someone's memory will be jogged and recognize something I am doing wrong.

First off, I tried the Custom -->

[!="BlurayAudio"]

Isequal([Custom],"BlurayAudio",8),

-"BlurayAudio"

None of these work.  Does anyone have any ideas, PLEASE?!
Wolf Audio Systems - Wolf Alpha II - Audiophile HTPC
Arcam AVR450 - Ayre Codex - Kef R series - Tributaries Series 8 Cabling

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I'll double check this when I get home (I don't have MC access now), but I believe you can just use one of the built in fields like "Series" and add in that field some text like "Bluegrass" then in Theater View >Set Rules For File Display, add from the dropdown box: "Series" -- "Is Not"-- "Bluegrass".

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

When I rip Blu-rays, I leave the Media Subtype as Movie to get the cover art and info. However, once I get the info I don't ever need to look it up again. I then change the Media Subtype.

You can use Media Subtype of Concert for BD-A discs and Media Subtype of Music Video for Blu-ray concerts.  Exclude these Media Subtypes in your Movies view and add Views for these Subtypes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

You can change [Media Sub Type] if you want, but it is easier to just use a different field. This can certainly be a custom field you make, a calculated field (if you can reliably calculate it), or... What I'd do, use [Genre].

They are Movies, just special ones about Music.

So, this is easy, in your existing Movies view, add this to the Set Rules for File Display search:

Code: [Select]
-[Genre]=[Music](note, the prefixed minus symbol, which makes it a "not" search)

That's the "code version" of what you get if you choose:
[Genre] is not any [Music]
in the search wizard.

If using "Music" doesn't work for you (because maybe Pink Floyd's The Wall will get that tag from TMDB or something) then make up your own special word that will never be in the online databases accidentally, like "Bluray Audio", and add that manually to your bluray audio discs. Or, if you have some working calculated field, make it spit out a 1 or a 0 depending on if it should be included or not be included and then use that as your filter.  This could be very easy and manual by making a custom field like this:

See how the Edit Type is set to Check? When displayed in Standard View as a column, it'll show a row of Checkboxes.  You can just check the ones where you want it to equal 1.  Then, filter your regular Movies view with:
-[Bluray Audio]=[1]
And your special Bluray Audio view with:
[Bluray Audio]=[1]
Anything checked will show in the Audio one, and will NOT show in the Movies one. That's one way to go, but I'd probably just use [Genre] because it is simpler, and you don't have to add new columns and stuff.

If you're very clever, you might be able to make the custom [Bluray Audio] field a calculated field that looks for files of a particular type that are tagged as [Media Sub Type]=[Movie] but which don't contain a video track, and then automatically spit out 0 or 1 appropriately. I don't feel like writing that expression for you, but it might be possible with some elbow grease. I don't know what kinds of Bluray audio files you have. Perhaps they do sometimes have video tracks, but you consider them to be audio files. Not sure.  If it was me, I'd tag them manually with a [Genre].

You will want to review these articles:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Search_Language
And this whole section isn't done, but read through anyway:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Views

The linked threads under Standard Media Views have a lot of great info, and tutorials, on most of this stuff. They're old, but basically all still relevant. The Smartlists and Search Language articles go into great detail on using MC's search wizard and query language. It looks to me like you're confusing the Expression Language and the Search Language.  They're separate. The Search Language can use Expressions, but they're not the same thing.

And, remember, Media Views are all searches too, identical to Smartlists. You just add the search under the Set Rules for File Display part of the Edit View dialog.  The reason those movies show up in your movies view is that the movies view searches for:
[Media Sub Type]=[Movie] ~sort=[Name]and the parent "Video" view searches for:
[Media Type]=[Video]
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Some examples might help illustrate how to build these kinds of things. My TV Shows view works much like this. I want my regular "series" view to show all of my regular "adult" shows. I want it to exclude:
* Kids shows like Dora the Explorer and My Little Pony
* Documentary shows like NOVA, Horizon, and Vice
* News programs like The Daily Show, Face the Nation, and Meet the Press.

So, the search for my TV Shows view looks like:
[Media Sub Type]=[TV Show] [Offline]="0"
And then the Shows child view looks like:
-[Genre]=[Documentary],[Instructional],[Game Show],[News],[Kids] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode],[Name],[Genre],[Artist],[Album],[Disc #]

Click to embiggen.

Then (as you'll note in the screenshot above) I have other Views for those items that were excluded (Documentaries, Kids, News, etc). The [Offline] field in those searches, by the way, is a custom calculated field I made that excludes content on drives that aren't generally connected to my server (they're in cold storage). It sets itself to 1 if the file is stored on one of these "usually disconnected" disks.

As an example, my Documentaries view doesn't even limit itself to any [Media Sub Type] so it contains both TV Shows and Movies mixed together, and uses this search:

[Offline]="0" [Genre]=[Documentary] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode],[Name],[Genre],[Artist],[Album],[Disc #]
The Kids one, since it contains only TV Shows, is nested under the parent TV Shows View, but uses this search, and has the Use parent scheme rules for file display option unchecked (which breaks "inheritance" from the parent View):

[Media Type]=[Video] [Media Sub Type]=[TV Show] [Offline]="0" [Genre]=[Kids] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode],[Name],[Genre],[Artist],[Album],[Disc #]
Since all of those Kids shows are tagged as [Genre]=[Kids] (via a Tag on Import Rule), then only those items show up in that particular child view.

Click to embiggen.

The easiest way to build these, by far, is using the Search wizard. You can type them out manually in the Import/Export box if you need to do more advanced things like using (this OR this) type rules, of course, but usually you can manage without this.

Remember that:
* Filters on views cascade to their children, unless you uncheck that Use parent scheme rules box (which eliminates all inheritance, so you have to filter out even [Media Type]).
* You can do the same thing in Theater Views and Media Network Views, but there is no way to block inheritance, so you have to be more careful with your filters (you can't use inheritance so much).
* Any files not specifically excluded by one of your filters will show up in the View. The default is to show all files.
* Media Views are Smartlists, except that you can add Categories (which are, essentially, on-the-fly filters) and they inherit the searches of their parents.

Theater Media Views

I'd also recommend that you build what you want in Standard Media Views first, and then replicate it in Theater and Media Network Views. First of all, you can import from Standard View into these types, so that's easier. And secondly, it is easier to get done because the Inheritance works easier (as mentioned above).

Here's an example from my Theater View setup that might illustrate it.  My "top level" (just under Video) Kids view in Theater View is just a "holder". It uses this search:

[Media Type]=[Video] [Offline]=[0]
Note, it doesn't have the [Genre]=[Kids] in it.  That is included in its child view called Kids Shows:
[Media Sub Type]=[TV Show] [Genre]=[Kids] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode],[Name]

Click to embiggen.

Why?  Well, because for the accompanying Kids Movies view, I didn't want to have to manually tag all of the movies that should show up there with [Genre]=[Kids], but wanted it to auto-generate from the metadata I get from the TMDB lookup.  It uses this search:
[Media Sub Type]=[Movie] (([Genre]=[Animation],[Kids],[Family] -[MPAA Rating]="13" -[MPAA Rating]="R" -[MPAA Rating]=[]) or [MPAA Rating]=[G])
That fancy thing includes any Movie where:
* Genre is Animation, Kids, or Family AND
* The MPAA rating isn't blank, PG13, or R
as well as:
* All movies, regardless of Genre, that are MPAA Rated G.

Click to embiggen.

It works great, and basically all of the movies in there are ones I'm fine with my 4-year old watching (some of them with light supervision, but she probably won't pick those anyway, and just picks Frozen or Tangled over and over again).

Those two setups result in:

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I'll give you one last cool example before I go...  Remember how above I said this?

As an example, my Documentaries view doesn't even limit itself to any [Media Sub Type] so it contains both TV Shows and Movies mixed together, and uses this search:

[Offline]="0" [Genre]=[Documentary] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode],[Name],[Genre],[Artist],[Album],[Disc #]

That works okay in Standard View because it is set to Panes View Style, and so the items that are Movies show up with an unassigned [Series] and [Season] fields, and I just added [Media Sub Type] as the "first" Category in the view:

Click to embiggen.

So, if I want to filter it to show just Movies, I just choose the Movie item in the Pane to the left, and then only the Movies show up in the list. But, this doesn't work so well for Categories View Styles or Theater View, because they show up under "Unassigned" (if you use [Series] as a Category) which is ugly.

But, there's a way.  ;)

I have a custom calculated field added called [SmartSeries].  It uses this Expression:
If(IsEqual([Media Sub Type],Home Video, 1),Home Video, TVInfo(SeriesDisplay))

Click to embiggen.

That tricky little bit can be used in place of [Series] and does the following:
* If [Media Sub Type] is "Home Video" it spits out "Home Video"
* Otherwise, it spits out the built-in fancy TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) expression, which returns [Series] if one exists, and otherwise spits out [Name].

I made my own because I use the same thing for Views that have Home Movies mixed in, and want them grouped into a "Home Movies" category.  If you don't have a similar need, you could just use the built in one, but I like the other one better anyway because you can make it look like it is just a Series listing (via the Display part of setup pictured above).

So, when you go to my Documentaries view in Theater View, it uses this as the Category instead of using [Series] directly:

Click to embiggen.

With this search:
[Offline]="0" [Media Type]=[Video] [Genre]=[Documentary] ~sort=[Series],[Season],[Episode],[Name],[Genre],[Artist],[Album],[Disc #]
Which comes through like this:

See how the Movies (like the one selected) are listed alongside Series (like Frontline or Frozen Planet)?  If I open one of those Series, it shows the Seasons.  But since the [Season] field is blank for the Movies (and there's only a single item in them) when I open those, it jumps directly to the Movie details level of the view:

If you want, you could even put your special "Bluray Audio" view underneath Audio in Standard and Theater Views, if you are clever with how the views inherit the searches of their parents.  I do this with my Music Videos views.  I want these to show up under Audio in Theater View, not under Video, because I'm looking for "audio" when I go looking for them, even though they are video files.

So, in Theater View, my very Top-Level Audio view does NOT have [Media Type]=[Audio] in it. I have that added to all of the other child views (like Music and Classical and Audiobooks) instead.  And there is a Music Video view under there, that has this search:
[Media Sub Type]=[Music Video] ~sort=[Artist],[Name]
And since Video files aren't excluded, they all show up in there.

lepa

• MC Beta Team

Thanks glynor. Always nice to read how people organize their library :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up