INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Artist Image use AlbumArtist or Artist in Theater View?  (Read 7904 times)

Ashfall

• World Citizen

In Theater View, if an album or group of albums by the same artist includes one or more tracks by a different artist, the artist image is not displayed.  However, it is displayed in Standard View.  All of the albums have the same consistent AlbumArtist tag and are grouped together in the view.  Just a few tracks in a few compilation albums have a different artist for that track.  If I remove those tracks or change the artist tag to match AlbumArtist, Theater View will then display the artist image as expected.  It's as if JRiver is looking at AlbumArtist in Standard View and Artist in Theater View when deciding what to use for the artist image.

Is this a bug or a setting that I've missed somewhere?

Ashfall

• World Citizen
Re: Does Artist Image use AlbumArtist or Artist in Theater View?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:21:57 am »

Maybe this will help explain better.

In Theater View, "The Cure" doesn't display the artist image in Artist view:

In Standard View, "The Cure" correctly displays the artist image in Artist view:

If I change the Artist tag for the 5 tracks shown from "The Easy Cure" to "The Cure", then the Artist image shows correctly in Theater View.  I think Theater View should look at the AlbumArtist tag instead so that the behavior is the same as in Standard View.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:34:11 am »

It is probably inconsistent that the views behave differently, however to be more flexible I think this is part of an oft-repeated request that you should be able to display whatever images you want based on the current value of the folder name.  The problem is recognised, it's just that no-one's got an answer for it and the JRiver team won't reply.

It is widely recognised that artist images only work on the Artist tag and not Album Artist (not just in Theater View but in Gizmo, JRemote, eos, Web Gizmo, DLNA controllers etc) which is rather silly for an album view. You should be able to say in the category definition that you want to use the Album Artist tag to get the images.  BUT instead you might have a Sort Artist field that you like to group your views by, so a harcoded Album Artist won't work for that, in the same way that the hardcoded Artist tag doesn't work currently.  You should be able to specify the Sort Artist tag for that folder.

And this same mechanism would then work for all other tags, e.g. you could have custom images for your Genres, stored in a Genres images folder, for example.  If you do a search for this (artwork/cover art at folder or category level), you will find many requests for it over the years.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:34:40 am »

I think Theater View should look at the AlbumArtist tag instead so that the behavior is the same as in Standard View.

I'll try it for the next build:
Changed: The Theater View artist image is built from the album artist field instead of the artist field (if it's filled).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:17:43 pm »

Changed: The Theater View artist image is built from the album artist field instead of the artist field (if it's filled).

Thank you so much Matt!   :)

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:35:57 pm »

Please don't change this.  The artist tag gives you a lot more flexibility for the slideshow and doesn't cause "Various" or "Multiple " artists.   Plus it uses the semi colon in the field to show pictures of duet artists. 

Honestly I'd never update again if it changes.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 03:33:48 am »

As per the "more flexible" request, it would be better if there was a setting on the category-level definition:

• Use the default thumbnail that MC generates

[ ] Use the value of the category to obtain an image from the directory: e.g. <path>/cover art/artists/, <path>/cover art/genres/, etc.

This would allow people to specify thumbnails for any category-level folder they choose while not breaking current functionality for those who wish to use the default way.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 06:53:35 am »

Please don't change this.  The artist tag gives you a lot more flexibility for the slideshow and doesn't cause "Various" or "Multiple " artists.   Plus it uses the semi colon in the field to show pictures of duet artists. 

Honestly I'd never update again if it changes.

If album artist isn't filled, it uses artist.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 07:32:51 am »

Album Artist is filled on all 14000 music files in my library.  My rip program does it automatically.  

I really don't know why you would change this, but please verify that this is changed permanently, so I know not to update further.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 07:45:28 am »

Album Artist is filled on all 14000 music files in my library.  My rip program does it automatically.  

I really don't know why you would change this, but please verify that this is changed permanently, so I know not to update further.

Then just clear out the Album Artist tags on the non-multi artist CDs.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:12 am »

Then just clear out the Album Artist tags on the non-multi artist CDs.

Yes, that wouldn't take any time (sarcasm font).   ::)

Do what you want, I'll just stay with the current version.  Album Artist can be a mess of a category as historically shown on this forum for labeling.  And you're taking away functionality and personalization with this.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:57 am »

I think we're talking about two completely different things:

1) The change Matt is making would affect how artist thumbnail images are displayed in the category view when browsing (as shown above).

2) Dawgincontrol seems concerned about how the slide show is generated during playback when watching playing now.

It's not clear to me that the two things are necessarily related in any way.  Matt's change (unless I'm misunderstanding it) just affects the thumbnail shown when browsing views.  It isn't necessarily going to affect the slide show behavior at all (or even the text displayed, for that matter), just the thumbnail shown in the default category view.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 08:23:40 am »

I am talking about the slide show, and maybe I am mistaking the correlation.  Either way, "csimon" has hit the nail on the head.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 08:48:09 am »

The change is in the code that generates a token to search on for the artwork.  It used to use MF_ARTIST and now it'll use MF_ALBUM_ARTIST_AUTO.

My understanding is that this is bringing it more into line with how standard view works someplace.

We'll try it for a couple builds and see what you all think.

Thanks.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »

Yes, that wouldn't take any time (sarcasm font).   ::)

It really wouldn't take any time at all. Just create a smartlist that filters out multi-artist CDs and then clear the Album Artist tags. Might take you a minute.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:19 pm »

In Theater View, if an album or group of albums by the same artist includes one or more tracks by a different artist, the artist image is not displayed.

I believe I have reported this before. Sorry if this is unrelated.

The problem only happens when an artist appears in a list with more than one other artist.

It was discussed here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91040.msg625804#msg625804

Quote from me:
A friendly reminder of a couple bugs.

This one has been here since version 17.
In theater view only:
When the artist field has multiple values delimited by ";", the values are shown separately as they should be.
The problem is that these separated artists don't have any artist images.

Quote from Matt:
I'm not seeing this.  I set the artist to Abba;Shabba for some Abba tracks.  I pick Abba in Theater View and it has the right art.

Tips?

Quote from me:
I tested some files and have narrowed down the problem to when an artist appears in lists with more than 1 other artist on different tracks.
Example:
Abba art will show up fine if there are some tracks with "Abba;Shabba" but....
If there are some tracks with "Abba;Shabba" on one album and some tracks with "Abba;2Pac" on another album, the Abba art will no longer show up.
It's as if only one pairing is allowed. Any more and artist art will no longer show up.

Again, theater view only. Categories works fine.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 10:51:36 am »

I believe I have reported this before. Sorry if this is unrelated.

The problem only happens when an artist appears in a list with more than one other artist.

It was discussed here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91040.msg625804#msg625804

Quote from me:
Quote from Matt:
Quote from me:

I have many files (as stated above) with multiple artists separated by the semi colon and get images of all as the track plays.  It works in playlists, random selections, and albums for me.  Maybe it's some kind of deal with your image source; just a guess.

Benson98

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 03:16:09 pm »

I am also having the same problem with the Artist Images that Syndromeofadown has mentioned.  I posted another thread about the issue and was pointed to this thread.  I have not tried this with the screensaver just with the Artist Images.  I tried again with the most recent version 20.0.123 and have the same problem.

Below is my post from the other thread on how to get it to repeat.

Thanks
-Benson98

Can someone please help me with getting the Artists Artwork to work properly in Theater View?  This problem has been around for a long time, but I'm hoping it can get fixed.  When I assign more than 1 Artist to the Artist Field, the Artist Artwork stops working.  This is under Theater View only.  It works fine with the standard view.  Below are the steps to get it to reproduce:

1) Create an empty music library.  In the default view change it to or make a new one using the Artist Field, not Album Artist Auto.  This needs to be changed in both the Standard View and Theater view.
2) Add one Album by an Artist (Ella Fitzgerald - Like Someone In Love).  At this point Artist Artwork will show up OK in both Standard View and Theater View.
3) Now add an Album that shares Artists (Ella Fitzgerald; Louis Armstrong - Ella And Louis).  Tagging would be Artist Field: Ella Fitzgerald; Louis Armstrong.
Under the Standard view the Artist Artwork shows up for both Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.  But if you switch to Theater View the Artwork for Ella Fitzgerald does not work,  Because she has 1 album by herself it now switches to the Fanned Album covers and the Artwork for Louis Armstrong switches to the Ella Fitzgerald Artwork.
4) Now add an album only by Louis Armstrong.  Once you do this, both Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Artist Artwork do not show up, just the Fanned Album Covers.
5) As another test, if you only have 1 album that shares artists (Ella Fitzgerald; Louis Armstrong) it will show the Ella Fitzgerald's Artist Artwork for both.

This also happens if you have individual tracks that share artists.  It does not have to be a full album, if the common album only tracks 3 and 5 had Ella Fitzgerald; Louis Armstrong and the rest were Ella Fitzgerald it would still not work.

In the Standard View the Artist artwork works.  It is just in Theater View that it is having the problem.

The above steps were tested with the new version 20.0.106.

Thanks,
-Benson98

Ashfall

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 06:57:42 pm »

This was changed in 20.0.123 but the change hasn't worked.

What we need is for the albumartist field to be used when searching for artist images (if the field is populated and is not "various"), and the artist field to be used when searching for media slideshow backgrounds.  It appears that the change was made to media slideshow queries instead of to artist image queries.  So now media slideshow no longer works with various artist albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up