INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules for file display in Theatre view disappearing after program exit?  (Read 1786 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe

I had a really weird situation popping up today, i added a Filename(name) "does not contain" <string> to the movies display in theatre view. However it disappears when the program is closed. I tried changing some other theatre view settings, like the skins, and those changes stick. I tried a random other field (producer) for a "does not contain" rule, and that also disappeared.

Any idea on what to investigate here? This confuses me a lot.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Guessing, but... Media Views in Theater View (and Media Network) are part of the Library. You can only alter the Library from the Server machine, otherwise any changes made are lost when you close and restart the client. This does not apply to Theater View skinning and other options in the Tools > Options > Theater View panel, but you can't change any of the Views in that dialog from a client.

Are you trying to make these edits on a client of another Media Server?

Also, for the record, substring searches are relatively slow operations (not horrible, but slower than some). Because of this, and because they can be fragile (they don't persist if you re-arrange your disk structure), it is usually best to limit [Filename] contains type searches where possible in your media views.  Stacking many of them can make a view slow to open and refresh.

If you need to parse the filename for some kind of metadata, you can usually accomplish the same thing, better, by using a Tag on Import rule to apply a tag to the files in question at import. Then the substring search only needs to happen once at Import time, rather than for each file in the View every single time you open or refresh it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

flac.rules

Guessing, but... Media Views in Theater View (and Media Network) are part of the Library. You can only alter the Library from the Server machine, otherwise any changes made are lost when you close and restart the client. This does not apply to Theater View skinning and other options in the Tools > Options panel, but you can't change any of the Views in that dialog from a client.

Are you trying to make these edits on a client of another Media Server?

Also, for the record, substring searches are relatively slow operations (not horrible, but slower than some). Because of this, and because they can be fragile (they don't persist if you re-arrange your disk structure), it is usually best to limit [Filename] contains type searches where possible in your media views.  Stacking many of them can make a view slow to open and refresh.

If you need to parse the filename for some kind of metadata, you can usually accomplish the same thing, better, by using a Tag on Import rule to apply a tag to the files in question at import. Then the substring search only needs to happen once at Import time, rather than for each file in the View every single time you open or refresh it.

Ah, ok, the other options are stored locally so I thought the view rules also was. You are right in that the changes where done on the client side.

Thanks for the tips on tagging, will it also be faster for my use? (which is hiding some files from the view), I guess I would first have some kind of "Hidden" tag and then make a rule checking for that tag?

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I split out the Media View responsiveness discussion into another thread, to make it easier for people to find in the future:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98401.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up