INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird problem/bug with remote play  (Read 2191 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Weird problem/bug with remote play
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:13:19 am »

I did some testing today with playing music at work from my computer at home.

First i Tried with the webservice, which is ok in a pinch, but it is a bit primitive (no playing now, lists of albums are non-convenient and so on), so I decided to install MC on the computer and test using a remote library over the internet.

At first, no files would play, the program froze up for maybe 5 seconds, and gave back "unable to play file". Then i changed audio to "no conversion". Now flac-files plays nice and very snappy, MP3 files have the same problem, about 5 seconds goes by, I either get a dialogue that "something went wrong", or it justs seemingly plays for 5 seconds, no sound comes out, and it jumps to the next file.

Streaming to webgizmo on the same computer: Works perfectly
Streaming to JRemote from the same computer over the mobile network: Works perfectly
(As mentioned), Flac Files: works perfectly
Local Mp3 files: works perfectly.
Loading the library: Very quick (a couple of seconds or so for a 8 MB library) I guess network speed to be around 30 Mbits /s between the machines.

Any idea what could be causing this odd behaviour?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Weird problem/bug with remote play
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:43 am »

That's very odd.  On a hunch have you tried unselecting the "play a local file if available" option under media network --> client options?

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:43:08 am »

That's very odd.  On a hunch have you tried unselecting the "play a local file if available" option under media network --> client options?

Yes it is, isnt it :). I tried unselecting, "play a local file", but it didn't seem to make a difference.

On another hunch, I tried selecting "always convert" and convert to linear 16-bit PCM. Then all files work. So it seems to be a mp3-related problem somehow (converting all files to mp3 makes no files play), however local mp3-files works perfectly fine. The conversion isn't ideal, so I would like to solve it somehow.

EDIT: just to be sure it wasn't some CBR/VBR problem (all the local files tested was CBR), i copied the exact same files over to the work computer (which i tried playing remotely and are VBR) but they played perfectly fine locally.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:58:46 am »

Maybe one or both machines don't have the LAME decoders installed?  They normally download automatically, but if you're in an environment that blocks downloads that might be it.

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:04:56 am »

Maybe one or both machines don't have the LAME decoders installed?  They normally download automatically, but if you're in an environment that blocks downloads that might be it.

Maybe, but would the local files work then? I am pretty sure the server can handle it fine, as it works on every other client i have connected to it (although all those are local), is there a way to check if the right decoders are installed?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:21 am »

I'm not sure, check out this thread for a similar issue: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97515.0

I'd expect it would just be a .dll somewhere, but I'm not in front of MC right now so can't confirm where it would be.

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:26:01 am »

I'm not sure, check out this thread for a similar issue: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97515.0

I'd expect it would just be a .dll somewhere, but I'm not in front of MC right now so can't confirm where it would be.

Conversion of a file from flac to mp3 works fine on both computers (on client with local library, since the option isn't there using a remote library), but the problem persists. Under "plugins" in the MC install-directory, there is a in_mp3.dll.

Pages: [1]   Go Up