INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is Netflix?  (Read 8384 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Where is Netflix?
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »

I don't see Netflix in MC21.  Has it been removed?  Will it be put back in?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Where is Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:17:00 pm »

MC hasn't officially supported Netflix in a while since they changed their API.  There are many threads about it, mwillems (IIRC) has written a guide to get Netflix to work through the WDM driver

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:22:19 pm »

Ah, thanks; ferday.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:24:00 pm »

Oh, do you have the link to the guide?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 12:28:45 pm »

Thanks.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:21:15 am »

I know it's out of JRiver's control, but I think they need to be careful with things like this.

Streaming is undoubtedly the way forward and my worry is that JRiver will simply be left behind in this regard.  If it had proper integration with Netflix, Prime Instant Video, et al. I'd ditch my LOVEFiLM by Post subscription in a heartbeat.

Especially with more and more music streaming (which Amazon Prime subscribers now get in Prime Music).

By 'proper integration' I mean keep to the current Theater View design with TV, Film, Music etc. items and going into them then displays the streaming providers content with the usual Theater View views.  I don't simply want an Amazon 'app' that shows the Amazon interface because that would be one boring looking Theater View home screen.  I want it how it currently is, but rather than showing my local library content, it shows Amazons/Netflix's etc.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:02:50 pm »

I agree.  I also have Amazon Prime; it would be nice to see it & Netflix fully integrated into MC.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:20 pm »

It would be nice to see it & Netflix fully integrated into MC.

Pretty easy to find the threads in here explaining why this is now not possible.

When you get a sec - call Netflix and ask them why they pulled their API. Do not blame MC for this one.

VP

CubicZirconia

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »

has any 3rd party media player venders(JRiver,Kodi or whoever) investigated whether FCC now has the authority to require video stream venders(Neflix,Amazon,Hulu) to publish standardized APIs?

It is due to one of the FCC regulations on Cable TV providers that we now have such wonderful devices like HDHomerun etc.  That regulation says Cable TV venders must provide customers with M-Cards when asked, so they cannot forcefully bundle the delivery hardware with the content they sell. They must allow 3rd parties to compete in the delivery device market.

Now that FCC has become the regulator of the broad band internet, maybe with enough noise, it could rule that the content steamers cannot bundle the delivery software with the content they sell and must let 3rd parties, like JRiver, compete in the delivery device market?

I don't think Netflix or Amazon would voluntarily hand over the control over delivery software. There are valid concerns, like copy-rights, quality assurance, band-width optimization. But I don't see any reason why these cannot be implemented through well thought out interface protocols.

Pretty easy to find the threads in here explaining why this is now not possible.

When you get a sec - call Netflix and ask them why they pulled their API. Do not blame MC for this one.

VP

stewart_pk

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 10:51:08 pm »

I use the the Windows 10 Netflix app to send audio the WDM driver which sends audio to JRiver for processing and volume control.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 08:01:34 am »

Amazon does have an API which works for Prime Instant Video. It has issues, but it would be possible to build something around it, unlike Netflix.

Now, whether it is worth the effort for JRiver is a question several notches above my pay grade (which is none at all).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:59 am »

Now that FCC has become the regulator of the broad band internet, maybe with enough noise, it could rule that the content steamers cannot bundle the delivery software with the content they sell and must let 3rd parties, like JRiver, compete in the delivery device market?

I think we might want to dial back that "regulator of the broad band internet " part just a tad...and I am not even from the US :)

6. Is the government taking over the Internet?

These new rules don't regulate any content or application on the Internet, or dictate how the Internet operates or where traffic is routed. So in that sense, the answer is no. They do regulate access to the "last mile" of the Internet, which is the network that connects your home or mobile device to the Net.

This means the rules govern just the companies and the sections of their networks that deliver Internet access to consumers. Companies subject to the regulation are broadband providers, like AT&T, Verizon or Comcast, which sell consumers fixed or wireless access to the Internet.

More here:

http://www.cnet.com/news/13-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-fccs-net-neutrality-regulation/

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up