INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passthrough DTS  (Read 8133 times)

Chrizt4Adam

• Recent member
Passthrough DTS
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:16 pm »

When playing DTS audio in JRiver, I do not seem to be able to get it to fully Bitstreaming to my receiver even with Bitstreaming enabled and configured in settings. DTS bitstreaming works as expected in MPC-HC using LAV decoder on the same files. I am not applying any Output Format changes.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Passthrough DTS
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:00:50 am »

When playing DTS audio in JRiver, I do not seem to be able to get it to fully Bitstreaming to my receiver even with Bitstreaming enabled and configured in settings. DTS bitstreaming works as expected in MPC-HC using LAV decoder on the same files. I am not applying any Output Format changes.

What do you mean by fully bitstreamed? Is it possible you are trying to play dts-ma files in MC and your video card or audio output cannot support it?

You can diagnose your issue by looking at the audio path. It is one of the buttons next to the seek bar (by shuffle and repeat).

Chrizt4Adam

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:32:47 pm »

By fully bitstreaming, I mean getting the receiver to say DTS when receiving a audio DTS file. When I play the same audio DTS files in Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (using LAV decoding) my receiver says DTS. If I play them in JRiver it says tells me playback cannot be started in 6 channel and freezes.  :-[
Attached are pictures of:
- Receiver working correctly in MPC-HC via LAV Decoder
- LAV Decoder settings
- JRiver crashing on same file
- JRiver audio settings

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:41:09 pm »

Try this.  Go to Tools > Options > File Types, and find the DTS Audio item under Audio in the list.  Change the Playback Method from Automatic to either:
* JRiver Audio Engine (using DirectShow filters)
* JRiver Video Engine (using DirectShow filters)

See if either of those works. It might be because of the DTS file type (an audio file) and the Bitstreaming option might not apply to those when in S/PDIF mode or something.

If so, that should probably be fixed, but using one of those two settings above should fix it for you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Chrizt4Adam

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:37 pm »

JRiver Video Engine fixed it! You are the best! :D

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:06:47 am »

There are more than a few threads about Digital sound, I will bump this one as it is almost the same as my request.
What I want to do is have a selection of .wav files that are DTS Surround, and be able to play them with the full DTS being passed to the Receiver, and, I want the same choice of Visualizers while playing them. This seems impossible currently.
Here's what I have done: I was hooked up coax to a good receiver that decodes all the formats. If I play a standard mp3 all is well. If I try to play the .wav MC complains the hardware is not capable of playing the file. MC does not see that the coax digital port on my PC will output DTS encoded tracks. I can turn on Dolby Digital output in the DSP and I get Dolby Digital on the Receiver, and the music output is 5.1. My classic song test "Money" by Pink Floyd, has the money sound effect go around the room ending on Left Rear right at the start of the song. A great test.
But while it says Dolby Digital, it does NOT say DTS. Researching both, DTS uses higher bitrates, and less compression, etc to achieve a better sound (according to many).

My big question to any expert in the field here..: If I play a DTS file and the Receiver shows it as Dolby Digital because the MC is set to output Dolby Digital, is the sound as good as it would be if I actually passed the DTS through? Perhaps it is my imagination, but the best A/B tests I can do show me the DTS sounds fuller, maybe just equalization, but there's a difference.
If I use HDMI out on an addon NVidia card, I can get Dolby Digital out to the receiver without setting MC to Dolby Digital in the DSP. Like MC is happy thinking it is outputting to a TV, and allows DD, but if a coax or optical connection it says it cannot do it. Strange.
No matter what connection so far tried, I cannot get DTS to be sent to the Receiver. Unless I do the trick outlined here. If I lie to MC and tell it that all .wav files are video files, it happily send the full DTS signal to my Receiver. BUT, if I do that, MC does consider it a video and turns off all options for a visualization (which makes sense, of course). I have money tied up in Aeon and Gforce and others, and if I use the Video engine to play back .wav files, all I get is the cover. No track info or pretty colors :)

So to the mighty coders of the MC, is there a way you can let MC pass through DTS without having to convert to Dolby Digital, or think it is a video file?
Thanks for reading. I am a bit wordy..:)

Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up