INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 hangs on close [SOLVED]  (Read 8547 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
MC 20 hangs on close [SOLVED]
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:50 pm »

This happened recently, I think perhaps before the latest build. Happened on Win 7 and now Win 10 (reinstalled for Win 10).
Running the latest stable MC 20 version: 20.0.131

Anyone know how to fix this?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 20 hangs on close
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »

This can sometimes happen when your Audio Device is misconfigured (event style versus non for WASAPI, perhaps) or your driver is angry. I've seen it before caused by the audio device, anyway.

Otherwise, post a shutdown log. Turn on Logging, close MC, let it hang for a good long time (minutes, not seconds). Then force quit if you must, re-launch, and immediately generate the Log zip file.  It might include a clue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:27:07 pm »

Thanks, Glynor. Don't really know how to interpret the log, but I do see messages:
Handheld: CMSCDeviceEnumerator::GetMSCDevices: Device interface invalid
Handheld: CAnalyzeDevices::EnumerateDevices: Computer metering didn't work!  (but I don't have an portable (handheld?) device attached.

Your help is appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »

How are you outputting audio?

The Nvidia HDMI, the Intel HDMI, the RealTek onboard, or something else?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:45:34 am »

realtek
screen clip attached.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:01:34 am »

Bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 01:08:16 am »

Disconnect any devices you can.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:18:03 am »

Disconnect any devices you can.
I've got nothing connected directly. No MP3 player. There are DLNA devices on the network, but nothing directly connected. This may have started when I transfered some files to an MP3 player that I had not previously used with MC. (Hadn't used it in years and years).

But it doesn't show up in my device list. All I see is the internal CD/DVD/blu-ray player. (Snapshot attached).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 02:28:56 am »

No USB devices?  Hubs?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:41:47 am »

No USB devices?  Hubs?
Nothing. There's is nothing plugged into this machine. Not even a mouse (I use the built-in trackpad).

Is it possible that there is a setting somewhere indicating that the handheld should still be there? I saw handheld error messages in the log I posted above. And I did use a handheld for the first time ever about a month ago, so it could be related.

Is there someway that MC has to "eject" a handheld?
(I've rebooted numerous times since I used that handheld.)

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:56:16 am »

Do you have any DLNA devices or other things on the network?  Try disabling Media Network. Sometimes they can cause slow shutdowns.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 09:58:19 am »

Do you have any DLNA devices or other things on the network?  Try disabling Media Network. Sometimes they can cause slow shutdowns.
There are DLNA devices on the network, but that hasn't changed in years. Also, it's not slow, it just doesn't shut down.
I have seen slow shutdowns (and thought they might be network-related), but this is not that.
It does not shut down at all. No matter how long I wait.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:34 am »

I hadn't gotten a chance to come back yet, but I did see two things in your Log package.

1. The Realtek drivers aren't up to date. I've seen this with Realtek drivers.  Try updating them. If it is a laptop, you might need the ones from your OEM instead of Realtek, but it's pretty much equally likely that the Realtek ones will work fine.

2. You have all sorts of audio outputs enabled, which MC is enumerating, including HDMI audio for the Intel onboard and Nvidia GPU.  If you're only using one, disable the rest.  Usually you can just do this in the Windows Sound Control Panel, but it can help in other ways if you disable the GPU entirely if it isn't being used (in the BIOS).

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 10:54:08 am »

I hadn't gotten a chance to come back yet, but I did see two things in your Log package.

1. The Realtek drivers aren't up to date. I've seen this with Realtek drivers.  Try updating them. If it is a laptop, you might need the ones from your OEM instead of Realtek, but it's pretty much equally likely that the Realtek ones will work fine.

2. You have all sorts of audio outputs enabled, which MC is enumerating, including HDMI audio for the Intel onboard and Nvidia GPU.  If you're only using one, disable the rest.  Usually you can just do this in the Windows Sound Control Panel, but it can help in other ways if you disable the GPU entirely if it isn't being used (in the BIOS).
Thanks, I did in fact update the RealTek drivers last night, but that didn't seem to help. The weird thing is nothing has changed on the HDMI audio settings, it's perhaps been years. I rarely use them, but have before.

So, I will try that, but not sure why that would cause the hang (as opposed to a slow shut down).

Do you think the Handheld errors are not a concern?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:22 am »

Windows Sound Dialog is only showing RealTek, and as I mentioned, I updated the drivers yesterday. And the problem is still occurring.

Side question: why would having the HDMI on the intel and nvidia chips impact JRiver? I can understand that it might make for a longer shutdown, but I'm experiencing a complete hang.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 01:25:46 am »

Turned off the Intel and Nvidia audio.

Had no effect.

Still hangs forever on shutdown.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 01:31:23 am »

Did this start recently?

Other than MC, what else changed?  I notice you say Win10, but that it happened with Win7.

Do you have iTunes installed?

Antivirus?

Does MC 20.0.115 work?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 01:35:08 am »

Did this start recently?

Other than MC, what else changed?  I notice you say Win10, but that it happened with Win7.

Do you have iTunes installed?

Antivirus?

Does MC 20.0.115 work?

It did start recently, when I was still running Win 7.
I'm using Kaspersky, but have been for over a year and running MC longer than that.

I will try 115 and see what happens.

Did just notice another pattern. If I open MC, and even leave it open without using it to listen to audio, it will close. If I listen to audio, then it does not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 02:10:24 am »

The fact that you were using the AV program before the problem began doesn't eliminate the possibility that it is the cause.  The only way to be sure is to uninstall it.

Even using an older build that works can't eliminate the possibility.

Here is a thread on antivirus problems.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 07:02:07 am »

Did just notice another pattern. If I open MC, and even leave it open without using it to listen to audio, it will close. If I listen to audio, then it does not.

Then it is almost certainly the audio device or drivers.

Try the uninstall/reinstall method described in the wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Troubleshooting_Guide#Checking_for_Misbehaving_Audio_Devices

If that doesn't work, then it could be Kapersky interfering. OS patches and definitions updates can wildly alter the way AV applications behave. The only way to be sure and rule it in or out completely is to uninstall, reboot, test.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 10:36:19 am »

Well, I just checked V 115.

And it worked fine. I played some audio, stopped it, and then clicked the red X in the upper right.

And it closed.

So, while it is possibly an issue with AV and drivers, it sure seems like something changed in MC.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 06:33:00 pm »

Forgot to address your other question:
I do NOT have iTunes installed. Never did, never will. :)

I can check about the AV later on, but it is interesting that it works fine in 20.0.115, but not the latest stable release.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 06:49:08 pm »

Well, I just checked V 115.

That's interesting, but doesn't necessarily rule in or out the drivers, nor the Anti-Virus (in fact, it actually makes me more suspicious of the AV). But, Realtek's drivers are often troublesome. I've had to go back to earlier ones before and hunt around to find ones that work right (though usually the latest work fine).

For the record, I'm using Realtek onboard audio on 3 different machines right now, with no issues, including the one I'm typing this on (ALC898). I'm using Realtek 6.0.1.7083 from November 2013 on this machine.

But, before anything else, I'd still recommend this process:
Try the uninstall/reinstall method described in the wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Troubleshooting_Guide#Checking_for_Misbehaving_Audio_Devices

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 08:07:04 pm »

[SOLVED]
It was the anti-Virus (Kaspersky Internet Security 2016).

For some reason, it impacted V131, but not the previous versions. I made sure to exclude the scanning of the MC files, and now it closes properly.

I did not have to make any changes to the RealTek drivers.

Thanks for you attention and help.
Weird how the same tools, with the same settings didn't bother earlier versions of MC, but did with the latest (of V20) and only after playing audio.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC 20 hangs on close [SOLVED]
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 12:48:19 am »

[SOLVED]
For some reason, it impacted V131, but not the previous versions. I made sure to exclude the scanning of the MC files, and now it closes properly.
Because they stupidly look for patterns in software.  It's impossible to do this and not cause problems with legitimate software that happens to have the same pattern.

I believe that Kaspersky supplies the "engine" for a lot of other antivirus programs, and that's probably why Norton and a few others have caused problems recently, starting after build 115 of MC. 

These problems should be reported to the antivirus makers.

The antivirus problem thread would be a lot longer if we had started it earlier.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

Thanks for posting the solution.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 01:04:27 am »

Reported.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC 20 hangs on close [SOLVED - ?]
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 05:28:06 pm »

So, I hate to bring this up, but it happened even after I turned off Kaspersky, but played audio for awhile.

So, that possibly points to Glynor's conjecture of a Realtek driver issue. (I am using the latest version of the Realtek audio driver).

Got fed up and tried MC 21.

And, it works fine w/Kaspersky and the latest Realtek driver.

So this was the only version I tried of MC that had that problem.

Just wanted to provide the update.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 01:21:26 am »

Turning "off" Kaspersky might not work.  Antivirus programs are embedded in the OS, so uninstalling them is the only way to know whether they are causing the problem.

They also might not like some sequence of characters or some process in just one build of MC.

Thanks for reporting in any case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up