ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Winsock error using class A mask in TCPIP protocol  (Read 1213 times)

Lori

• Place Personal Text Here
Winsock error using class A mask in TCPIP protocol
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:14:39 am »

We are a remote site connecting thru a VPN using PPTP protocol.  I connect to the VPN and through the firewall successfully. When I execute ICE.tcp Plus using a Class A mask (255.0.0.0) I get a winsock error.  When I use a Class C (255.0.0.0) mask I connect successfully.

Unfortunately I have to use the Class A mask, do you have any reported issues or fixes for this.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 01:38:16 pm »

I'm thinking that you are having a routing problem when you use the class A mask.  Plus doesn't care about the netmask, it just uses the system calls to open a socket, etc. I  think if you try Microsoft telnet when you have a class A mask it also will not work. Check your default route and nameserver entries in both cases and compare them to see what might be wrong.

Lori

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 02:06:18 pm »

I do not change anything but the mask in the TCPIP protocol settings in control panel.  So the route and nameserver stay the same.  Any other suggestions?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 03:04:22 pm »

I just talked to your contact on the other end of the VPN. Since you can connect with one netmask and not the other I'm thinking the problem is in the VPN configuration and he is going to follow that up.  

You should still try the testing the connection with both netmasks using microsoft telnet to verify that Plus is not in the equation.

start->run  type in telnet 1.2.3.4 and hit enter
(replace 1.2.3.4 with the address of the host you are trying to reach)

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 17 queries.