ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Running Client on Server  (Read 1000 times)

rsonnier

• Place Personal Text Here
Running Client on Server
« on: August 25, 2004, 03:50:02 pm »

I have moved my TCP-PRO server to a new XP Pro workstation.  However, I cannot get the client to work properly on the same machine.

Other (non-XP) machines can install from the server succesfully, but when running Telnet Pro, I get either a "Not a socket" error or an error that says "Unknown: ########".  The value ######## changes each time the error occurs.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Running Client on Server
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 09:38:04 am »

Please speciify the version of PRO you are running. Please note that every board has a subtitle that says to include the version of windows AND the version of PRO. (help->version information)

rsonnier

Running Client on Server
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 10:30:50 am »

The version was 5.1.06 when I first encountered the problem.  Since then, I have downloaded and installed 5.1.21 and still have the same problem.

I have also found a J. River reg key that appears to have an error condition, as I am unable to view, modify or delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\J. River\Network Toolbox

rsonnier

Re:Running Client on Server
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 01:34:18 pm »

I read the "Fixing problems when installing PRO over an version older than 5.0.81 on 2k/XP" thread and seem to have been able to recover, delete the key, then reinstall the new 5.1.21 version.  I still don't understand why giving "Everyone" full rights to the registry key would not allow me to delete it.  Only when adding my current user id, as suggested in the referenced thread, did I successfully delete the key.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Running Client on Server
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 11:30:19 am »

Windows permissions aren't the same as Unix permissions. The administrator doesn't necxessarily have access to EVERYONE by default. By contrast, in Unix the superuser DOES have access to every file on the machine.

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 21 queries.