ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Global Profiles  (Read 1057 times)

he74657

• Place Personal Text Here
Global Profiles
« on: March 04, 2004, 07:00:10 am »

Is anyone able to assist me with creating Global Profiles.

When I create the required profile and export it with g_ into the TCP5 Directory TelNet Pro is not detecting these profiles automatically.

I can however go to import profile and select the newly created Global Profile and it imports OK.

I need to push out 2 global profiles to around 400 machines. I can do this and each machine has a copy of them but it isnt being automatically picked up by TelNet Pro

Any ideas?

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Global Profiles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:35:17 am »

You need to copy the g_  file to the program directory for each machine (after the normal installation).

Here are the complete instructions and caveats:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's how to use global properties:

1. Create the profiles to be made global.

2. Save (Export?) them to a file or files with a "g_" prefix and a ".cfg" extension. (The profile name(s) inside do not necessarily match the file name.)

3. Copy the file(s) to the Pro program directory in every machine you want them to load. The program will load the user's profile first, then load the profiles from any "g_*.cfg" file in the program directory.

*-The program will siliently overwrite any user's profile whose name matches a global profile (including 'default' profile).-*

An administrator can deter users from modifying the global profiles by fiddling with the global file's properties (ie. read-only, hidden, permission flags, etc), or  by restricting the program directory.

he74657

Global Profiles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 05:37:40 pm »

I have done this.

I have them copied out to the users program directory at every logon but the local systems dont seem to pick them up. When you look in the directory the g_.cfg files are there

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Global Profiles
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 12:25:40 pm »

That's strange.

Here are some things to verify:

-The g_ file is put in C:\Program Files\J River\ICETCP5

-The file name (g_somthing) will NOT appear as a profile name in the program. If the global profile that was exported was named 'default', it will appear as 'default' in the user's profile list, siliently overriding the user's local version of 'default'

-If the user's program version is pre 5.0.81, it needs to be updated for global profiles to work.

-If the g_ file was copied as an administrator, the non-admin user might not have permission to read it.

he74657

Global Profiles
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 04:46:05 am »

I am an administrator on the machine and the g_whaterver.cfg is being copied ot the ICETCP5 directory on the workstations.

But if we have imported the profile to each PC then when you try to use it a error message appears saying that the profile cannot be found.

We are currently using version 5.1.19.

The profile is visible when you view the direcotry.

Any other hints?

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re:Global Profiles
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 12:50:38 pm »

Hi,

Sorry, I'm at a loss at why it's not working for you. You said you copied the file as administrator, but didn't say if you were running the program as administrator. If not, it might be a permissions problem, even if you can view the file in the directory.

Other things you might want to try; if the profile in the g_ file is something other then 'default' try using default as the name of the profile.  If the profile does not exist on the workstation, try creating on the workstation; the profile in the g_ file will override this one. Maybe this will eliminate the error you are getting.

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 21 queries.