ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: upgrade questions  (Read 811 times)

mattyguk

• Place Personal Text Here
upgrade questions
« on: December 14, 2004, 09:39:44 am »

as the description says, I have managed to upgrade the server licenses etc to the latest version, but we have a LOT of users still using the previous version (5.0.67 I think) and they get the sequence number from a share on a linux server(samba etc) now if I copy all the licenses and setup files from the newer updated version over the top of the other (older) version will the older users get an error message?, the reason i ask is because there arent enough hours in the day (or when the users arent in) to go round and reinstall each users software,

thanks for your help

Matty G

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:11:50 am »

The license server is STATIC. This means it's only used to GET a sequence number and not at all afterwards (unless you need to reload PRO on a PC).

Therefore nothing bad is going to happen unless you have conflicting sequence numbers between your new and old license folders. If you think the new license folder is correct there will be no trouble in copying it to the samba server along with the rest of ICETCP5 Server. As usual, make backups of the license folder first in case something goes wrong or you get confused.

Finally, the old 5.0.67 clients will NOT be able to get a sequence number from the newer license server so you will need to update the client PC to the cirrent version of PRO if for some reason you need to rerun configwizard on it.

mattyguk

upgrade questions
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 03:00:59 am »

excellent, i suppose that if I have a problem with the client then i could upgrade to the newest version of ice tcp pro and then get a sequence number, also another question, the company that we buy our jriver software from is charging £800 (at a guess $1200) to buy 50 upgrade licenses, Ok not a problem but I have managed to upgrade the licenses for nothing so why are this company doing this, is it us that are out of line upgrading our licenses for nothing or are they out of line for charging for upgrades (note that they specifically pointed out that they are unable to provide support on ice tcp pro)

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
upgrade questions
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 11:03:14 am »

There is much confusion regarding updating/upgrading and pricing.  Thus, we purposely do not post these prices.  There is no cost to update an older version of TCP Pro to a more current version.  However, if a customer owns an old version of our 16-bit TCP program, that license can be updated to Pro at a reduced cost.  The cost to update a 50-user license of 16-bit TCP to TCP Pro would be approximately the prices you reflect above.  I expect the reseller and/or distributor did not understand that you wanted to update your Pro to a more current version.

mattyguk

Re:upgrade questions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 02:58:50 am »

hmm, I shouldnt think so as I sent the license numbers to them, i just wanted to know is it ok to do it or is it breaking software regs, anyway I tried over writing the older licenses and i havent had any problems so far, now I can install on our XP machines,

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 21 queries.