When is the best time to do things like:
   set terminal type
   set color mapping flag
   set colors
   set key maps
   etc.
Right after issuing the Connect method
or
While processing the OnConnectionComplete event.

I noticed that some things, like set terminal type, can only be done after a connection is established so I do all setups after a connection is established.  Maybe some items can be setup before the connection is established.

Bob:

--- Quote from: jmabbott on January 07, 2004, 02:39:43 pm ---When is the best time to do things like:
   set terminal type
   set color mapping flag
   set colors
   set key maps
   etc.
Right after issuing the Connect method
or
While processing the OnConnectionComplete event.

I noticed that some things, like set terminal type, can only be done after a connection is established so I do all setups after a connection is established.  Maybe some items can be setup before the connection is established.

--- End quote ---

I'll check into that in more detail, however it's important to note that some things that are passed on connection, most importantly the terminal type, so the remote host has no way to know if you have changed the terminal type AFTER you have a connection. Some versions of Unix can properly respond to a lines/columns change after connection but this is not universal.

Changing things that are only cosmetic, like the color attributes is fine to do after the connection is established.

jmabbott:
For Example.
1. Bring focus to the OCX control.
2. Connect to a host.
3. Press the Caps Lock key to turn ON the Caps Lock light on the keyboard.
4. Notice that pressing the letter keys gives upper case letters.
5. Move focus away from the application with the OCX control, like to the desk top.
6. Press the Caps Lock key to turn OFF the Caps Lock light on the keyboard.
7. Bring focus back to the OCX control.
8. Notice that pressing the letter keys continues to give upper case letters.
9. Press the Caps Lock key to turn ON the Caps Lock light on the keyboard.
10. Notice that pressing the letter keys now to gives lower case letters with the Caps Lock Light on.
11. Telnet Pro does not misbehave this way.

Has anyone else seen this or can it be something in my application? :-\

jmabbott:
Additional information:
1. A disconnect - connect cycle will restore the Caps Lock synchronicity.
2. Even when synchronized, with the Caps Lock on and holding down the shift key, pressing the letter keys gives upper case letters instead of lower case letters.

Bob:

--- Quote from: jmabbott on January 29, 2004, 09:30:48 am ---Additional information:
2. Even when synchronized, with the Caps Lock on and holding down the shift key, pressing the letter keys gives upper case letters instead of lower case letters.

--- End quote ---

Normal behavior. We do this on purpose to mimic what a terminal does.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version