TCP/IP Products > TCP-PRO

Citrix/Terminal Server Questions and Answers

<< < (2/7) > >>

tonkyman:
So! even though we own 40 license for pro and are only using 22 I'll have to purchase additional license in order to phase out the old server and stop using TCP Pro? Once the migration is made to the new server we will not be using TCP Pro at all. Is there not a temporary solution. I hate to pour more money at something we are only going to use for less than a month, after that time I'll have fourty licenses for a product we will never use again. Buying more licenses makes no sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Tony

Bob:
Our licensing and software production are geared to helping users of our product continue to use it with new technology like terminal server/citrix. There are people moving their emulation systems to thin clients from individual PC's and want to use our product in that environment, our goal is to help them continue to use our product. We also have new users migrating from Windows based accounting solutions to Unix/Linux based solutions and feel that we can offer them part of the solution. These are our goals.

tonkyman:
Bob,
I do understand you position but I hope you can understand mine. We are not leaving your product because we didn't like it nor because it didn't work well. We love TCP Pro and have been a loyal customer for more than 13 years. Our move to a windows based product was not our choice, our software vendor forced us to move to that platform. As IT manager all I want to do is make a smooth transition for our users, I had hoped you could help.

Thanks for your time,
Tony T

rohitprasad:
Will using a Terminal Server and connecting to it remotely improve speed as compared to the normal telnet. I understand Terminal Server brings in various other benefits like security. Does it improve speed in access ? If so, what is the improvement percentage ?

Bob:
Using Citrix/Terminal server over a remote connection will be SLOWER than having PRO at the remote connection with a normal session. This is because the emulation is CHARACTER based so when you are runnning PRO at the remote site you are moving 8 bit characters back and forth whereas when you are running a Citrix/Terminal server session over a remote link you are moving the bitmap of the screen. No matter how efficient windows/citrix can make that it's still going to be less efficient than simply moving characters. Since you need to have a VPN to connect to Citrix/Terminal server anyway from the remote location you are better off opening up telnet through the VPN and PRO on the remote to talk directly to the Unix machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version