ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: PRINTING PROBLEM  (Read 861 times)

bobp

• Place Personal Text Here
PRINTING PROBLEM
« on: September 19, 2005, 03:52:51 pm »

When printing a document off Telnet Pro only part of the document prints
When trying to print a document in a "landscape" version instead of a "portrait" version the document still is only printing only the left side of what seems to be a larger size document.  The Telenet pro version I am using is 5.1.25.  When checking the printing preferences while the document is printing shows RAW.  I've tried to change the preferences to TEXT, but it still remains RAW.  How can I change the document so it prints the entire page without cutting off the info to my HP7210 all-in-one printer?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you
Bob P.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
PRINTING PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:22:30 pm »

Printing is supposed to act as a transparent conduit for the print stream from the Unix machine. The supported solution is the one in which the print job is already properly formatted for the printer you are using.

In versions 5.1.25 and newer there are 3 methods of printing.

Normal
Raster
Direct

Normal is using the windows print spooler to print to a printer which can recieve ascii characters, this includes line printers and PCL printers. These are the types of printers normally supported by Unix apps.

Direct is the same as normal except that it bypasses the spooler and goes to a directly connected printer.

Raster attempts to take a character based print screen and convert it to a raster based image for use with PCL printers as well as the cheap and dirty winprinters (printers which cannot print ascii characters and rely heavily on windows to provide them with a graphic image to print). The Raster print drive in PRO supports a limited line printer emulation mode only.

According to the hp web site the 7210 is a PCL 3 printer so if the Unix machine is sending the proper print codes it should print out as you expect.

You could try to use the Raster driver and if your unix app sends compressed codes you should be OK otherwise you can tweak the size divisors to compress the print manually (search the forum on divisor)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:22:00 pm by Bob »

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 21 queries.