ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: FTP Pro error message  (Read 1983 times)

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
  • Place Personal Text Here
FTP Pro error message
« on: November 08, 2005, 04:41:25 pm »

Customer is running version 5.1.09 and their tech says that the computer IS
connected to the network.  Any idea why he is getting this message:

The computer is disconnected from the network.

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
FTP Pro error message
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 04:43:06 pm »

According to our technician:  ftp sessions don't stay connected forever. If you leave it up long enough, it will disconnect. You can try to change the keepalive under view->options->general keepalive.   however you should note that most ftp servers can be configured to ignore the keepalive.

jsuner

FTP Pro error message
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 06:31:05 pm »

Actually, the error message occurs immediately after trying to connect (It never connects).   I bring up the FTP window, then I hit the connect button, I get the error message "The computer is disconnected from the network".  The computer does have a viable network connection btw.
Jerry

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re:FTP Pro error message
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:01:10 pm »

I can't say what's happening, but I can say, after checking, is that FTP Pro does not have that particular error message text. This means the error is being relayed by FTP Pro from something else, which would mean either somewhere in Windows or from the remote side (the Unix system you are trying to connect to).

It could be that the remote computer is configured to reject FTP connections, or only accepts FTP from certain computers.

Jim

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
FTP Pro error message
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:42:09 am »

Or the windows XP firewall is blocking the connection on port 21 or 20. You may need to unblock ftppro.

jsuner

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 10:41:18 am »

This person has Windows 2000 with no firewall installed.  Any other options?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
FTP Pro error message
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:07 am »

Try the windows command  line ftp client

jsuner

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 11:35:10 am »

I did.. it worked fine.  (went to dos using CMD, and tried FTPing to the site I am trying to FTP with TCP.Pro).
I also tried uninstalling the whole application and reinstalling.  However, I know I am not getting everything, because when I reinstall.  The name of the person whom I am installing this for comes up initially and some of our configured settings are still in place (as opposed to just having a vanilla default installation).
Jerry

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
FTP Pro error message
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:41:37 am »

The registry entries are not removed on an unistall. I don't think that is your problem. Try recreating the site in ftp pro. Check the transfer mode, try switching it into or out of passive mode. Try connecting to other sites (like our which is in there by default)

jsuner

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 02:08:14 pm »

I've tried recreating the site, I've tried switching the FTP to passive mode.  I will try to connect to your FTP site and see if that works.  FTP was working just fine on this computer and it works perfectly across the company.  Do you know which registry entries are stored?  I would like to try to remove Tcp Pro completely if feasible.
Jerry

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
FTP Pro error message
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 02:29:40 pm »

Hkey_current_user->Software->Jriver remove the whole folder.
Hkey_Local_Machine->Software->Jriver remove the whole folder (this will force you to rerun configwizard on a reinstall)

Just a guess, check for hung sockets on the unix box to that PC.

go8bud

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 03:36:10 pm »

I am getting the following error : Failed to save string in the Registry.  I see in the previous posts that this error is from an old verison.  The version is 5.0.8 which is what is on my computer and 2 others I checked.  Any ideas?  I am installing from the ICETCP5.

jsuner

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 03:51:40 pm »

I figured out the answer.  If internet explorer is set to "work offline" by accident (if you go into file, and click work offline) it will set a check mark.  Thus, even if you are connected, tcp pro will not ftp, period.  Hope this helps anyone in the future.
Jerry

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
FTP Pro error message
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 04:16:32 pm »

Thanks!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
re: Failed to save string in the Registry
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 04:20:47 pm »

Please post to a new topic next time!!

If you version is 5.0.80 or less you will probably have trouble on XP. You MIGHT be able to hack around it by opening up the permissions in regedit for
hkey_current_user->Software->Jriver and below.

If not you can try deleting that folder. Next time pro runs it will recreate it.

If you still have trouble after that you will have to make sure you have permissions to write to the registry and if so, follow the instructions in the PRO forum about deleting the registry entries by hand and updating the license server.

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 21 queries.