ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: remote ICElp printing not independent  (Read 1919 times)

jim1850

• Place Personal Text Here
remote ICElp printing not independent
« on: September 20, 2005, 05:44:41 pm »

The configuration:

- Home Office, Alabama
SCO OpenServer V
Cisco VPN Endpoint router
DSL Broadband Internet connection (speed ?)

- Remote Office Computer 1, Ohio
Windows XP, all service packs
Cisco VPN software client v4.6
Roadrunner cable modem (1M-dn/256k-up)
Dot-matrix printer locally connected to LPT1

- Remote Office Computer 2, Ohio
Windows XP, all service packs
Cisco VPN software client v4.6
Roadrunner cable modem (1M-dn/256k-up)
Dot-matrix printer locally connected to LPT1

(Both Computer 1 and Computer 2 are in the same office)

- Jriver ICE.TCP-Plus
Build 24
Emulation 7.10a/32
Windows Interface 8.5

- "PC Print" configuration using ICElp
Both computers select the same local Windows printer on LPT1
Both computers select the same unix printer
Socket: 2346
Unix Print Spooler Directory: /usr/tmp
Standard settings except I enabled..
Delete on cancel
Show status message

Problem:
We have been doing remote printing with one computer using ICElp without any problems.  Recently I added a second computer here at the remote office.  With ICElp running on each Windows computer, a unix->Windows print job initiated by one computer will occationally be printed by the other computer.  It appears that the print jobs for both computers are going to the same unix server directory (just a guess) even though both computers are logged into the unix server as unique users.

The unix consultant in Alabama seemed to be a bit baffled and left without resolving the problem.  I am not a unix person so I can't help.  I'm hoping someone here might shed some light on this so I can offer assistance when the consultant reappears.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 02:28:44 pm »

I think the problem is you using the same Unix printer name. A single printer in Unix is designed to go to only one printer, and it appears you have one Unix printer going to two PCs. You need to set up a second Unix printer for one of the PCs to retreive the jobs for.

The server directory can be the same as long as the printer names are different.

Jim

mbyrd

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:30:05 am »

Hi everyone.  Ok, so does this mean if I have 50 users working from home using ICElpd, they each need their own individual printer names assigned and configured, instead of creating a single printer that generically points back to the end-user's connection ?  

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:55:54 am »

If each of the 50 users have their own printer then they need unique named icelp printers. If you have 50 remote users sharing one network printer then you should pick one machine to use with icelp and that printer and make sure icelp is always running on that machine.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 10:08:52 am by Bob »

mbyrd

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 01:19:17 pm »

Thank you for the reply, Bob.  One last twist:  This is a Citrix client, and I was wondering if the same issue applies in that environment (i.e., I would need to develop a unique spooler for each printer at each remote user's desk).

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:51 pm »

If you want each of the end users to have a unique printer and you are using the unix print spooler you would need to have a seperate printer for each whether you are using icelp or lpr/lpd. In this case you would have to use citrix to map each named icelp printer to a remote user printer or by using lpr/lpd (with the windows lpd client) to different named queues on the citrix machine then each of these as a one-to-one mapping to the end user.

If no two users are going to print at the same time you could get away with one printer using either icelp or lpr/pld and citrix to map that printer to the remote users printer.

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 18 queries.