ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Random Disconnects when switching back in Win XP Pro  (Read 854 times)

stevewa

• Place Personal Text Here
Random Disconnects when switching back in Win XP Pro
« on: June 13, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »

Version: Telnet Pro 5.1.25

Problem: User is randomly disconnected from remote server, when switching back to the Telnet Pro program.

Example:  User has Telnet Pro open with active session running with remote server (WAN not LAN). User switches to other program, i.e. Excel, does some work, switches back to Telnet Pro, presses a key, and the Telnet Pro program closes.

History: Everything was working fine at other physical location (still WAN not LAN). We moved office to a different location, and setup different DSL connection. Since then one computer in the office has had this problem, but the other computer does not seem to have this problem.

Resolutions tried: Searched support forums, enabled Keep Alive from 0 to 10 (assuming this means send a keep alive signal every 10 seconds?), added program dejavue.ocx to Win XP firewall exception, drank a beer, sprinkled pixie dust on keyboard, crossed fingers, swore out loud.

I am only the computer tech, and since this is intermittently happening, I am not always here to see how often it happens, etc., but I was able to reproduce the behavior so I know the user is not making it up.

Any further suggestions you can make will be appreciated.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00:08 pm »

Version: Telnet Pro 5.1.25

Problem: User is randomly disconnected from remote server, when switching back to the Telnet Pro program.

Example:  User has Telnet Pro open with active session running with remote server (WAN not LAN). User switches to other program, i.e. Excel, does some work, switches back to Telnet Pro, presses a key, and the Telnet Pro program closes.

History: Everything was working fine at other physical location (still WAN not LAN). We moved office to a different location, and setup different DSL connection. Since then one computer in the office has had this problem, but the other computer does not seem to have this problem.

Resolutions tried: Searched support forums, enabled Keep Alive from 0 to 10 (assuming this means send a keep alive signal every 10 seconds?), added program dejavue.ocx to Win XP firewall exception, drank a beer, sprinkled pixie dust on keyboard, crossed fingers, swore out loud.
10 means 100 seconds. 1 = 10 seconds.
I am only the computer tech, and since this is intermittently happening, I am not always here to see how often it happens, etc., but I was able to reproduce the behavior so I know the user is not making it up.

Any further suggestions you can make will be appreciated.
Well, it's pretty hard to figure out if it's happening in the same location and one machine works and the other doesn't.  If the program is in the foreground just sitting there for a long time does it disconnect then also??

I assume you are using telnet, not ssh??

It could be a faulty router. You might want to switch IP addresses on the client PC or try another router...

stevewa

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:13:50 am »

Well I already siwtched out the NIC card but that didn't help. So I just uninstalled JRiver and reinstalled, and that time it worked (after I set the keep alive to 10). So thanks for your help!

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 21 queries.