ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: TCP/IP timeouts  (Read 1277 times)

Daz

• Place Personal Text Here
TCP/IP timeouts
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:27:02 am »

Apologies for the length...

I have a SCO Openserver 5 at our main site that I wish to access from a remote site. Digital lines are unfortunately unavailable there so up until now I have had to have a analogue lease line and multiplexers with the remote machines running ICE TEN.

I have been testing a NT box at either end running RRAS which works great with everything but ICE TCP. If a remote users starts ICE TCP it starts the Dial on demand fine (and doesnt timeout before connection is made) and works perfectly (and quickly!) thereafter.

The problems come when the user does nothing and an inactivity disconnect is triggered and the line is dropped. Hitting anything on the remote users keyboard started the DOD again but ICE TCP timeouts long before the connection is re-established.

So, in summary, (if anyones still reading!) - how can I change the TCP timeouts to cope with the delay?

Thanks!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
TCP/IP timeouts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 12:26:39 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to see if you can turn on keepalives on your SCO server so that it periodically sends a keepalive packet to open connections.

CDSmith

• Christopher Smith
  • Place Personal Text Here
    • CDS Associates, Inc.
TCP/IP timeouts
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 05:16:25 pm »

Daz, I've also asked a question regarding TCP/IP timeout configuration within TCP-PRO but don't have any answer yet.

Regarding the Demand Dial connection on your NT system dropping due to inactivity, I'd suggest either making the connection persistent or increasing the idle time before the connection drops.  It's been awhile since I looked at an NT box but the settings in Windows 2000 Server are in the RRAS, Routing Interfaces, Demand Dial properties on the Options tab.  

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
TCP/IP timeouts
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 02:35:55 pm »

We did do some checking into this issue apart from the server side keepalive suggestion.

There is a socket option called SO_KEEPALIVE on the client side but it appears to be unsupported in Winsock.

Update: Keepalives are fully supported in current versions of PLUS and PRO
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:32:40 pm by Bob »

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 21 queries.