ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin  (Read 1767 times)

jhilton

• Place Personal Text Here
ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« on: October 09, 2006, 08:49:17 am »

We are running ICE.TCP PRO 5.1.26 AND Cygwin, seems as tho we have problems with copy and paste pics. Xwin.exe is left running or not being released correctely. Any solutions or ideas?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:45:46 pm »

I'm not sure I understand how you are using both together? Are you logging in with PRO then using xwin to display graphics?? Can you give more details like the steps involved in an actual session that gives you the problem??

jhilton

ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:05:58 pm »

After logging in Linux through Telnet Pro the command
export DISPLAY=ipADDRESS:0.0
then
nautilus --no-desktop directory in Linux

This brings up the nautilus browser.  From here you can bring up jpg files for display.  You can also drag .jpg files from one folder to another.  As of now all is well.  
When you try to cut and paste the jpg files Telnet Pro dies.  There is probably a 5 second delay in typing or redisplaying.

If you do the same thing except from windows, Start,  Run, and execute a telnet command,  There is not a delay
in redisplaying or typing.  Also if you call up a Telnet Pro session after using the windows telnet session.  The Telnet Pro session has the delay.

This is using cygwin for the xserver.  We have looked at Telnet Pro for a xserver but have not found anything.  

There must be some kind of conflict between cygwin and Telnet Pro when a cut and paste is executed.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:03:43 pm »

Interesting....

Can you try the classic (4.4) client and see if you get the same behavior??

jhilton

Re:ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:05:43 pm »

That works great for the classic version.  But this still kills the Telnet Pro session.  I have a telnet pro session and a classic session going.  When I go through the steps as I previously stated on the classic session, the telnet pro session still hangs.  The classic session runs fine.  Is there some kind of setting in pro that should be changed or what?  I do not want to run the classic version.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 09:29:25 am »

Hmmm, I guess I'd try fiddling with the telnet settings and the keepalive timer. (Note I always use the "close program if no sessions are active" option). You could also try downloading the 5.1.19 version and trying that, it uses mfc42.dll in a dynamic configuration. It would be interesting to see if that made any difference.

Can you post a link to how you installed xwin? I can try it here to see if I can duplicate your situation.

jhilton

ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 11:39:36 am »

We are currently running 5.1.26.  Are you saying to go back to 5.1.19?

To load cygwin go to http://cygwin.com/ click on install or update now
you will get a list of sites to download from. We used cygwin.osuosl.org (I do not know if it makes a difference)
You will be asked to select packages (I got them all or I tried to get them all).  This does take some time.  You may want to let it run at night.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:50:27 pm »

We are currently running 5.1.26.  Are you saying to go back to 5.1.19?
No, just try it on one machine. Download it from ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/tcp-pro-demo119.exe
run a user install only and cancel out of configwizard when it comes up at the end of the install process. Don't bother rebooting. Try TelnetPro then and let us know if it makes any difference.
To load cygwin go to http://cygwin.com/ click on install or update now
you will get a list of sites to download from. We used cygwin.osuosl.org (I do not know if it makes a difference)
You will be asked to select packages (I got them all or I tried to get them all).  This does take some time.  You may want to let it run at night.
I'm downloading that now.

jhilton

ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 10:53:14 am »

119 acts the same.  Did you get cygwin loaded and does it do the same thing as we are reporting?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE.TCP PRO & Cygwin
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:35:41 pm »

I got it to happen once but now I can't get it to happen again. It's something about the order one runs things in I think. It appears to me the xwin server is changing some of the characteristcs of the windows tcp/ip stack.

Pro makes more sophisticated use of the tcp/ip stack than 4.4 which could explain why 4.4 works better. I'm not sure much can be done. The only thing I did was to turn on keepalives in 5.1.26.

Page created in 0.01 seconds with 21 queries.