ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Profile Editing Errors  (Read 1454 times)

kjones

Profile Editing Errors
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:00:37 am »

We recently switched over five Telnet Pro users from Windows 2000 to XP.  On fresh installs, we got version 5.1.26 and licensed it.  In trying to resolve an emulation issue, I find that when I edit the default profile, select Terminal Settings and Advanced, if I change the value for "Character 0x9b Treatment" and click OK, I get the "an error has occured would you like to send MS the error report" (or something like that).  These users have administrative rights (for now).

I have a laptop with XP and 5.1.26 and have no problems manipulating this value.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:58:36 pm by Bob »

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Profile Editing Errors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:10:34 pm »

I don't know why the Advanced dialog box would be generating an error on close for some XP machines.

However there is a way you can manually set the "Character 0x9b Treatment" manually:

In start->run, type in regedit

open up: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\J. River\5.0\Profiles\0

(0 should be the default profile, you can check this by looking at the value of the "name" key.)

The three "Character 0x9b Treatment" choices is stored in the "TerminalTypeModif"

Doubleclick on the key, and set the value to 0 for the first choice, 2 for the second choice, or 4 for the third choice.

NOTE: if the terminal type is ansi and the 'use "old" ansi color emulation' is checkmarked, then this key is set to 1.

JimN
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:12:06 pm by jimn »

kjones

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:54:20 pm »

That was useful.  I was able to change the setting.

However, the real problem persists...  Though I have the same terminal type set (Wyse60-25lines) I am getting junk characters for horizontal lines / boxes.  All the relevant settings seem to match though I may not be looking in the right spots.  At least one of these was originally loaded as 5.1.6, later uninstalled and reinstalled as 5.1.26.  I don't know if that would effect such things or not.

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 03:23:49 pm »

Earlier versions wouldn't cause problems.

The problem you are describing are precisely those of having the wrong terminal type (different ones on the remote and local sides).

Are you getting these on all the computers or just some?

Check to make sure the terminal type is staying set. When closing telnetPro and running it again, is the terminal type still set to Wyse60? (If not, there is a fix for this described elsewhere on this forum).

Sometimes, while logging in, the Unix login script, or the Unix application, can change the terminal type. This can be different for individual users. To check this have a user whose telnetPro is connecting correctly log into the Unix connection on the telnetPro having the problem, or vice versa.

JimN

kjones

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:33:04 pm »

Both machines are running XP SP2, have Telnet Pro 5.1.x, seem to have have identical settings, I am signing in as the same user, with different results. 

I checked the TERM environment variable before starting my application - same variable.  I checked the settings at the bottom of the TelnetPro screen - identical - with one exception.  One session is ssh, the other telnet.

I have been working in this environment for years.  This issue is only appearing in moving off of ICETCP and Windows 2000 to TelnetPro and Windows XP.

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 11:52:03 am »

So one XP running Pro works fine and another XP with Pro is getting junk characters, and the only thing different is the ssh/telnet switch. Do I have this correct?

If so, try connecting without (or with) ssh in the one not working, and see if it makes a difference.

You mentioned switching 5 users to XP. Are the other three working right or not working right?

kjones

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:37:06 pm »

It is as you describe it and I have tried doing what you suggest.  Oddly enough, I find that if I switch from one protocol to the other, after a long pause whichever I am switching to fails.  (If I am on the machine that usually does ssh and switch to telnet, it fails and vice-versa.)   I would wonder if it has to do with the XP firewall allowing only one port exception per application except that I'm not confident that they are all even using the firewall.

All the newly installed machines have the same problem.

I am out of the office today and so am working off of memory otherwise I would give you the exact message - something about the network being unavailable.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:09:12 am »

That was useful.  I was able to change the setting.

However, the real problem persists...  Though I have the same terminal type set (Wyse60-25lines) I am getting junk characters for horizontal lines / boxes.  All the relevant settings seem to match though I may not be looking in the right spots.  At least one of these was originally loaded as 5.1.6, later uninstalled and reinstalled as 5.1.26.  I don't know if that would effect such things or not.

Check the active profile to see if the proper font is selected. It should be ice 437 in the US and ice 850eu in Europe. If it's wrong, change it in the default profile, exit TelnetPro and rerun it.

kjones

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:45:56 am »

That did the trick. 

Which brings us to more refined issues...   In the good old emulation within ICETCP 4.4, a series of underline characters dispalyed as a broken line.  In the current emulation, it displays as an unbroken one.  This might be considered a plus but at least one user relied on the broken line to count available characters.  Also she pointed out that the colors used to be brighter (same monitor) and the characters bigger. 

We're closing in on it...

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 21 queries.