ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: UNIX Host Print  (Read 1082 times)

jiffytech

UNIX Host Print
« on: April 12, 2007, 01:16:13 pm »

I am using ICElp on a windows XP system. the UNIX server is running SCO Open Server Enterprise 507. I am trying to set up the system so I can print from Windows to the UNIX printers. Setting up ICElp UNIX Host Print is pretty much straight forward.
My settings are:

Enable UNIX Host Print
HOSTP1
Unix Host Internet address:  192.0.0.1                 This is the address of the UNIX server
Socket Number:   2346
Unix Command Line:  lp -s dreppap                      This is the command line in UNIX on a working printer, the UNIX printer name is reppap

The Unix printer settings are:

Model:       reppap
Connection:   tty1b13                   This is a printer on a Stallion Easy Server II Print server, Ip address 192.0.0.200

The printer is an OkiData 320Turbo.
I have the Windows driver for the 320Turbo installed. All of the drivers are for Windows.

I have tried installing a local port named c:\windows\temp\HOSTP1\ICELP. I had to create the directory c:\Windows\temp\HOSTP1 for this to accept it. However, the data is sent to the temp directory but never reaches the print que.

I have also tried to create a TCP/IP port but cannot seem set it up correctly... if that is even the correct way to do this.

The manual is very vague on how to do the Windows printer setup.

Can someone please help with this?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: UNIX Host Print
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:00:48 pm »

First check to see if ICELP is setup properly on the Unix host. See the message "debugging server side icelp" in the message below and report your results...

http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,19.msg78.html#msg78

jiffytech

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 03:39:27 pm »

Thank you for the swift reply.

I believe ICElp is set up and running correctly on the UNIX box. I have 17 printers company wide using ICElp to print from UNIX to parallel port Windows printers and networked Windows printers. I also have 9 serial printers that are connected to 2 Stallion Easy Server II servers. It is the serial printers that I would like to print to from Windows. I am just confused about the setup... especially in the Windows side.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:23:15 am »

Sorry for the slow reply. It took me a while to figure out what was going on here. In old versions of windows, the port shows up automatically when you select a printer. In 2k and newer it appears that you have to create the port manually. The way I did it was to first go to a command prompt to see where the windows temp directory was set. On my machine this is:
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.000\LOCALS~1\Temp  (your path will be different)
each Unix hostprint printer will be a subdirectory under there, i.e. HOSTP1 so I get
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.000\LOCALS~1\Temp\HOSTP1\icelp
for the local port I create when adding printers.

So you add the printer as a local printer unchecking plug and play
The add a new local port and type in your path equivalent to
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.000\LOCALS~1\Temp\HOSTP1\icelp
The select the make and model of the printer and you should be good to go.

(p.s. I'd change your lp line to lp -s -c -dreppap)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:27:22 am by Bob »

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 21 queries.