ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: uploading data through ICE TCP Pro with a usb scanner  (Read 2925 times)

Carl

uploading data through ICE TCP Pro with a usb scanner
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:27:06 am »

Hello,

I am trying to upload batch data from a scanner using the usb interface into the emulator as keyed data to the unix box.  I can upload the data into hyperterm and it comes throught correctly, but TCP Pro chops off the first character of each data entry.  My software provider uses TCP Plus and is having no problem uploading the same data from the same scanner, but TCP Pro will not work.  The operating system is Windows XP Pro (both mine and the software provider's), and I am using Ice TCP Pro version 5.1.07.  The file is getting truncated in the software as well as in a file editor such as vi, but when I do the same thing using microsoft's hyperterm or even a copycon dos function everything comes through correctly.  I have tried changing terminal types, and buffer amounts but nothing has helped.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

Carl 

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
  • Place Personal Text Here
Re: uploading data through ICE TCP Pro with a usb scanner
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:53:03 am »

You can try changing your Print method to Raster (you may have to update to a newer version for the Raster printing).

Check out this Forum topic, XP Upgrade kills ability to print:
         http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php/topic,784.0.html
for more detailed information.

Carl

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:06:05 pm »

If I am not trying to print does this still apply?  I am using a worth data tricoder bar code scanner to invnetory my warehouse, and I am trying to upload the data.  Thanks,

Carl

pwright

• Place Personal Text Here
    • Wright Computer Services
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:16:10 pm »

What terminal type are you currently using in ICE.TCP Pro?  Hyperterm uses ANSI - have you tried changing Pro to ANSI and then seeing if that will work?

Carl

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 02:38:08 pm »

I have tried ANSI and WYSE60 emulation, as well vt220 8 BIT. 

THANKS,

CARL

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 03:41:34 pm »

I'm surprised that Plus works and Pro doesn't, as they use exactly the same emulator.

The only thing I can think of is that Pro is trying to convert carriage return-linefeed combinations to just linefeeds, only there are c/rs but no linefeeds in your data, so Pro is eating the first character of the next line.

I haven't got access to a Pro program right now, but check the settings for anything with a c/r-linefeed switch.

I take it your using telnet, not ftp. If you are using ftp, then there is definitely a switch for text documents, that you need to turn off.

JimN

Carl

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:16 am »

I am using telnet.  I don't see any options regarding a c/r-linefeed. I have an option for character 0x9b Treatment that I am not sure about.  It is currently set to "use default for terminal type" and the other two options are "make it Printable" and "Make it an Esc - [ combination".  That is the one option that I do not what it is for.  Thanks,

Carl

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:15:29 am »

Would you please explain EXACTLY how the data gets from the Scanner onto the emulation screen of Pro?

Carl

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:48:47 pm »

The scanner uses a usb cable and acts as an input device just like the keyboard.  I can upload from the scanner into the terminal emulation  screen just like I am typing on the keyboard.  I have certain entries (operator, warehouse, bin, serial number) that the program I am entering the data into is looking for.  This program has worked for years with a serial connection, but now I am having to use the usb interface because our new unix server will not work with the serial interface. 

Thanks,

Carl

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 02:28:09 pm »

So the scanner is connected to the PC? Or is it connected to the Unix server??

You could install the classic client that comes with Pro, the emulation is the same as PLUS.

Finally, you might want to try a newer version of Pro, get the update, install the user portion and cancel out when it gets to configwizard.

Let us know if any of this helps..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:57:05 pm by Bob »

Carl

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 09:02:34 am »

Sorry for the delay,

The device is connected to the PC. 

I downloaded the newest version of trialware like you said and that did not work either.  The 4.4 version that comes with TCP Pro will not run because it says that the company name is not found, and the configwizard cannot be found.  Where is it?  I tried to locate it on the local machine as well as the machine that hosts the licenses for Pro but had no luck.  Is the 4.4 version the "classic" version that you talked about? 

Thanks,

Carl

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 10:24:40 am »

The 4.4 version is classic. You get a license with it that same as with TelnetPro. It doesn't use an extra license if there is a pro license on the machine already but you still have to retreive the sequence number. The easiest way to run configwizard is to do a network install from your server otherwise you have to browse to the server into the TCP-USER share then into the TCP4-32 folder and run configwizard44.exe. You need only to get a sequence number and make sure you enter something in the username and comment fields if they are not already filled in automatically. If you still get that error your TCP5_USER share probably isn't writeable by your PC. Check the permissions on the share.

Carl

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:57:43 pm »

Hallelujah!!!!!

Classic works with the scanner.  I got all the data correctly with no truncating.  I will install 4.4 on all my machines that need to upload data.  Thanks so much for the help. 

Carl

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 09:32:15 am »

Great!
I can't explain why since the underlying emulation is the same but why argue with success?

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 21 queries.