ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Multiple copies with Personal Print for DOS  (Read 1212 times)

nyasai

Multiple copies with Personal Print for DOS
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:49:13 am »

We are running the ICE.TCP for DOS and it works fine we have configured personal print usinf the PPRINT1.TXT printer definition.

The printing works fine except when you need to make multiple copies, when you run the following command

lp -d printer -n4 /etc/hosts

you only get 2 pages printed, when you set the number to 6 copies you only get 4 copies printing.

We have installed a fresh SCO Openserver 5.0.6 server but the problem still persists might anyone have a solution to this problem.

Regards

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Multiple copies with Personal Print for DOS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:24:52 pm »

That's really quite old and unsupported, however the problem is probably in the unix side script, PPRINT1.TXT. Check for the area that handles multiple copies. You might simply be missing a formfeed at the end or something similar.

nyasai

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:10 pm »

Hi Bob, thanks for the response, but I believe the issue is with the DOS client as you can see some pages are disappearing in transmission.

I appreciate that the software is old but it meets our requirements especially being in a developing country where we are trying to improve productivity through automation.

I wish JRiver support could provide some insight into this issue as for those in the developing world terminal emulation on low end hardware is essential, we do not have the budgets or resources to implement newer technology.

That's really quite old and unsupported, however the problem is probably in the unix side script, PPRINT1.TXT. Check for the area that handles multiple copies. You might simply be missing a formfeed at the end or something similar.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 02:48:45 pm »

Well, I took a look at the PPRINT1.TXT script and the something became apparent immediately. The first job probably isn't finished printing on the DOS side by the time the second starts and there is no locking of the printer on the DOS side.

Try adding a sleep to the script. Here is the pertinent part of the script:
case ${options} in
 a|" a")
   while  [ "$copies" -gt 0 ]
    do
      for file in $file
       do
         if [ `file $file | grep -c text` -eq 1 ]
            then         
              /usr/bin/ftcopy -a $IPADDRESS $file $PCPORT -t 2>&1
            else
             /usr/bin/ftcopy -a $IPADDRESS $file $PCPORT 2>&1
         fi
         sleep 60
       done
      copies=`expr $copies - 1`
    done
  ;;

note: I added a one minute sleep after the ftcopy command. You might have to play with the length.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:50:43 pm by Bob »

Page created in 0.01 seconds with 21 queries.