ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Unable to copy seq# under Remote User Install  (Read 1497 times)

bharb

Unable to copy seq# under Remote User Install
« on: November 15, 2007, 12:07:02 pm »

I have 4 different agencies on my network that their corresponding IT admins will be installing ICE.TCP Pro version 5.1.26 on over 600 workstations.

These users don't have access to the server that I installed the licenses on.

I followed the instruction as described on page A-23 (Remote User Install) and added few users under LicenseAdmin.

I selected these users (and also tried it with just one user), click Export button, specify the proper path information and then click OK, the Licenses folder is copied to the removable storage media.

But inside that folder, only the LiceseKeys file is copied. No file entries for the different sequences/users that I exported.

When I take the removable storage media and load the software on the remote user, it always assigns it seq# 1.

I noticed under LicenseAdmin program, if I 'Add Reserved' instead of 'Add Users', it exports the Reserved # but that's not what I need to accomplish.

Need help please.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Unable to copy seq# under Remote User Install
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:23:02 pm »

That procedure is for a single user. To use it with multiple users you need to export each license to external media individually

A much easier way of doing this is to:
copy the whole license folder to removable media.
copy the data folder to the removable media too if you are using anything other than a default profile.
find the executable configwizard.exe in TCP5_USER/TCP-PRO and copy it to the removable media.

Then you essentially have a roving license server. You take it to the machines (in whatever fashion) round-robin style and run configwizard directly on the PC (from the removable drive). It will automatically find the license and data folders at the root level of your removable media. Don't forget to copy the License folder back over the original on the licenseadmin server when you are done so that it correctly reflects the allocation of licenses.

You could also make universal registry entry on one machine (with the host, colors, terminal type, etc) and export that to the removable media as well, skipping profile selection when running configwizard and then clicking on the registry file to import it. That way you get all the settings of your default machine.

bharb

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:52:09 pm »

Bob,
You must have missed the point I made in the first statement: 4 agencies each have their own administrator installing the software simultaneously. According to your suggestion, I'll end up with 4 different license files. How would I be able to synchronize them with my main License Admin server?

You mentioned that the procedure is for a single user. So why the installation instructions mention "...select the entry for each remote PC by clicking on it while holding down the CTRL key...". I tried it with just one user but unfortunately with the same result.

I tried to be clear in my posting but unfortunately it is not working. I simply need to be able to perform what the manual describes on how to install the software on remote PC that does NOT have network access to the ICE.TCP Pro server.

Believe me, if the nature of my agency would allow the use of a credit card, I'll be calling support and paying for it until I get some kind of resolution. I've been a customer for 15 years now and never had any problems until we decided to upgrade the software to stay 'current'.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:38:43 pm »

Bob,
You must have missed the point I made in the first statement: 4 agencies each have their own administrator installing the software simultaneously. According to your suggestion, I'll end up with 4 different license files. How would I be able to synchronize them with my main License Admin server?
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. If you have 4 locations, are you using one licenseadmin server for all of them or one for each site?
You mentioned that the procedure is for a single user. So why the installation instructions mention "...select the entry for each remote PC by clicking on it while holding down the CTRL key...". I tried it with just one user but unfortunately with the same result.
The actual licenses are probably there but they won't show up unless you have your view options turned on the see hidden files. They should show up as files called 1,2,3, etc.
I tried to be clear in my posting but unfortunately it is not working. I simply need to be able to perform what the manual describes on how to install the software on remote PC that does NOT have network access to the ICE.TCP Pro server.

Believe me, if the nature of my agency would allow the use of a credit card, I'll be calling support and paying for it until I get some kind of resolution. I've been a customer for 15 years now and never had any problems until we decided to upgrade the software to stay 'current'.
What version did you have before? Perhaps PLUS might have been a better choice for upgrading? When did you purchase the upgrade??

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:05:51 pm »

Actually, Deanna had a better idea about how to handle the remotes. She just emailed you on it.
Also, if you prefer the classic look and feel, you can install the classic client instead of the Pro client.

bharb

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:27 pm »

Bob and Deanna

I have one site for the LicenseAdmin server at my location.

I had the view for hidden files turned on. I do see the files if I exported the users that I created with 'Add Reserved' instead of 'Add Users' (I mentioned that in the last sentence of the original post).

I am running DEJAWINT:
DejaVu TCP for Windows and Windows 95
Emulation Version: 6.09n
Windows Interface Version: 6.6.3

I purchased the upgrade in February of this year since the funds were available but haven't deployed the new version yet. I'm getting ready to do it now (can't you tell). Our old version only supported telnet but our new server will only accept SSH. PRO was recommended for simple management of sequence numbers (650 of them currently) and easier installation and setup of profiles.

Deanna mentioned: "One thing that comes to mind because it is a common error:  do not enter the User's name in the User folder prior to installation; this will prevent the assigning of a sequence number."

What User folder? I haven't got to the point where I'm ready to install the client since my exported License folder doesn't contain the sequence number.

I would like to use the PRO version unless you tell me it won't function for me.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:58 am »

First, I'm going to explain how the license manager works and what the add user, add reserved and export functions do, then what I recommend given your setup. I didn't understand all of the ins and out of how it works until this morning because I never recommended add user to anyone in the past.

Add reserved just marks a user slot as allocated in licenseadmin.

Add user allows you to manually fill in the information for a "yet to be allocated" license.

Export simply copies the existing license folder to removable media.

The licenses in the license folder (1,2,3,etc) do not show up until they are allocated. So if you reserve a slot, it then shows up in the license folder.

If you have one or more offsite locations, using add user to preallocate slots requires you to run configwizard in order on each remote PC to get the remote sequence numbers to match what you manually entered in licenseadmin.

Since you have to get the license folder to all of the remote locations in any case I strongly suggest the following method, it's much easier than manually entering the information.

1) Take the authoritative license folder from the licenseadmin server and put it on a removable media.

2) Don't put the data folder on the removable media, instead, setup one PC with the appropriate settings (terminal type, colors, host, etc). Then export that registry entry using regedit (HKCU->Software->J. River) and put the resulting .reg file on the removable media. If the setup parameters are different from site to site, setup one PC at each site properly then create the same .reg file to use on other PC's at that site.

3) Put configwizard.exe (and/or configwizard44.exe for the classic client) on the removable media.

4) Get this removable media to site number 1 (in whatever fashion, ftp, emailed zip, sneakernet, etc).

5) Either
a) Take the removable media to each PC to run configwizard on (uncheck "select a configuration profile") or
b) Put it on a server all of the client PC's at that site can reach and share it writable (full control) for all, then browse to it and run confwizard on each PC.

6) After running configwizard on each PC, doubleclick on the .reg file to import the settings for host, colors, etc.

7) When you are finished with that site, transfer that removable media to the next site. Repeat until finished. When finished, copy the license folder back to the original licenseadmin server so you can see the results in licenseadmin. Always keep a backup copy of the license folder.

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 21 queries.