ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Ice drops connection  (Read 838 times)

saunaking

• www.saunaking.ca
    • SaunaKing
Ice drops connection
« on: June 02, 2004, 02:21:56 pm »

I have a user using ICE 5.0.80 who is having problems with dropping the connection to the unix host.
He is connected directly on the LAN so he has a good connection with the unix box.  Recently he moved within the office to a new location (same computer) and since this happened his connection drops once or more each day at some point.

It has happened while he was working in ICE, also has happened where he has been away from his machine for a few minutes but when he gets back and presses a key, the connection drops and he is left with the blank screen.  However when he is away for longer times like lunch there has not been a problem so i dont think it is a timeout or anything.

Also, since this happened i have had him open two sessions.  Each time the session he is working on drops, when we change to the other session it is still logged in so I don't think its a network problem (??) because I would think if the network link dropped both sessions would be lost.

Is there another reason a connection can get dropped?  His installation is a few years old and he has never really had a problem until now.

He is running Windows 98

I am now running a ping -t and sending the results to file so next time he drops i can see if there is corresponding packet loss in the ping results.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Ice drops connection
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 10:03:49 am »

Nothing in particular comes to mind especially but you could try a couple of things. If you are getting one session staying on as you say that seems to limit it to something on the Unix side. There could be a bad cron script that's accidently killing the telnet session for some reason (like a logrotate based on a bad pidfile). You could also try the update release which is up to 5.1.21. This version eliminates the use of a windows library that often gets changed by misbehaving apps. Unfortunately to do this change you will have to update the admin server as well. There was a change in 5.0.81 to handle XP that makes previous versions license server incompatible.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:15:09 pm by Bob »

saunaking

• www.saunaking.ca
    • SaunaKing
Ice drops connection
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:25:45 am »

Thanks Bob,

Last Thursday I changed his patch cable to the one he used in his old location and voila!  He has been online since without dropping.

Hopefully thats all it was.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Ice drops connection
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 10:40:35 am »

Great, thanks for the reply.

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 20 queries.