ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: ICE TCP PRO hangs  (Read 1352 times)

Henrik

• Place Personal Text Here
ICE TCP PRO hangs
« on: June 30, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »

Client OS: Windows XP and Windows ME
ICE TCP PRO version: 5.1.09

I have recently been called in as IT support at company x.
I'm fairly new to the set-up of this software but have been doing some research.
This company have been using ICE TCP for some time now and were originally on ISDN running the software without any problems.
When switching to DSL a couple of months ago they started experiencing screens freezing every 15 minutes or so.
It does not seem to be a server issue as clients at other locations can connect to the server via DSL without any problems.

Would an upgrade to the latest version possibly solve this problem?
If so where would I start?

After running some diagnostic tests it seems that the connection is not loosing any packets and so I'm looking for some setting for DSL in particular or something that needs to be modified for us not to loose our connection.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/Henrik

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re:ICE TCP PRO hangs
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 01:58:53 pm »

There is one thing you can try. Get the current version (5.1.21). After installing, Admin portion and User portion, add the following DWORD key to the Registry with this path;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\J. River\ICE.TCP\5.0\KeepAlive

set the KeepAlive to a value of 1
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:08:31 pm by Bob »

Henrik

ICE TCP PRO hangs
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 05:43:44 pm »

This does not work at all. After adding this registry setting the software doesn't want to start up at all. Error message "Unknown: 10042".
Any other suggestions?

Henrik

ICE TCP PRO hangs
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 03:39:55 pm »

Does anyone have any clues or ideas regarding this problem???
We're getting desperate here as the screen freezes for all our local users every 15 minutes or so every day.

I just tried setting the KeepaliveTime parameter for winsock under Windows XP but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Our server is located up in Vancouver BC and DSL users up there do NOT have this problem.
Do I really need to set the keepalive parameter on the SCO server up there, is there any reason for doing that since this problem only occurs for us here in the US?

Help!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE TCP PRO hangs
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 11:11:27 am »

It's something specific to that DSL connection and keepalives. Check this post:

http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=88

GROVER

ICE TCP PRO hangs
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 08:50:54 am »

DID you get a resolution on this?

We have freeze-ups on 1 PC a Win98...stalls out for 30-90 seconds then comes to life. ANy ideas?

Maddocks Trucking software..

Tks,
Grover
Ayr Motor Express

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE TCP PRO hangs
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 10:50:25 am »

The next release will have a more generic version of keepalive that should work under any version of windows. However if you are getting a screen which "stalls" for some number of seconds you are DEFINITELY having trouble with the reliability of your internet connection! Either it's timing out on purpose (we have been told that some ISP's do this) OR you have a line quality issue OR you have a issue with the firmware on your DSL modem OR something similar. Using a browser will NOT show the same symptoms because a browser doesn't keep an open connetion to a web site.

Page created in 0.01 seconds with 20 queries.