ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: usb printer connection  (Read 6259 times)

rawhide

• Place Personal Text Here
usb printer connection
« on: August 26, 2004, 02:47:40 pm »

I'm trying to add a hp printer  model psc 1350 using a usb connection. We are using ICElp. I upgraded to the current software version and tried the registry edit option mentioned on the forum, but still no luck. Windows verion 98SE. I get either no reponse or the error mesage:

error writing to USB001
Problem printing to the printer due to an unknown system error. Restart Windows and try again.

Please let me know what setting to change to fix this.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
usb printer connection
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 03:47:48 pm »

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=306888&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00033421

Looks like it is a winprinter from the spec sheet (it can't print Unix outputted ascii characters).

You will not be able to use a winprinter with the current versions of PRO:

http://yabb.jriver.com/ice/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=188

We MAY have some support for these low end printers in the next version of PRO.

rawhide

usb printer connection
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:51:09 am »

Could you please advise which models of hp printers will work. I don't want to make the same mistake mistake twice. Thank you for your help.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
usb printer connection
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 10:05:04 am »

I can't really recommend a particular one but what you want to look for is something that does PCL print language not LIDIL (Lightweight Imaging Device Interface Language).

HP Deskjet 6122 seems to be one of many that fit the bill. We have a HP995C here that works fine. Most any printer that does PCL or PCL emulation should work fine. It looks like this all-in-one should work too:
HP PSC 2410 Photosmart All-in-One

If you see two printers with nearly the same features and one costs a fair amount more if you check you will almost always find that the cheap one is a winprinter.

I suggest you check the specs from the HP page for a printers that you might be interested in. The thing you are looking for is the PRINTER LANGUAGES, STD. It should be PCL with a version number, like PCL3. Get one, try it and return it if you don't like it.

The bottom line is that the printer should be supported if you attached it directly to the unix machine. What ICE does is provide a transparent path for output that that unix app would normally print to the unix printer to your windows printer instead.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 01:24:24 pm by Bob »

rawhide

usb printer connection
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 12:55:51 pm »

Thanks for the info. Now I can make an informed purchase.  :)

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.