ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Complete Uninstall  (Read 915 times)

dpyszkow

• Place Personal Text Here
Complete Uninstall
« on: September 14, 2004, 01:11:25 pm »

Greetings,
   I have a client that is experiencing multiple problems that appear to be connection/timeout related???

She is using ICE TCP Pro version 5.1 on a Windows 2000 Pro workstation.  We are in a Windows 2000 Domain envrionment.  She is connecting to a UNIX (Keypoint) server on a local subnet.

At various times during the day her workstation will act as if the connection was lost.  The keypoint screen(s) will change colors (i.e. the background changes from blue to yellow) and she can no longer access the server.  Screen refreshes are erratic, some keystrokes are not acknowledged by the server or are delayed, and other oddities.  

There are no other problems with connectivity on her workstation (EX: LAN/WAN, other workstations, other servers, etc.) during the time that she loses connection to the Keypoint server.  We have twenty plus other users on this LAN and all the other systems are working fine.

We called your tech support last week and they suggested that the problem was workstation related and that we should uninstall and reinstall the workstation software which I have done.  The uninstall obviously did not completely remove the old version as her old profile was still intact when we ran the reinstall.  

What is the next step in troubleshooting this problem?  Is there a procedure for a COMPLETE uninstall (client, server, profile, registry entries, and the server license)?  Should we try that?  Will another re-install make any difference or is there something else we should try?

Thanks for your help,
   Dave  

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Complete Uninstall
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 02:03:20 pm »

Greetings,
   I have a client that is experiencing multiple problems that appear to be connection/timeout related???

She is using ICE TCP Pro version 5.1 on a Windows 2000 Pro workstation.  We are in a Windows 2000 Domain envrionment.  She is connecting to a UNIX (Keypoint) server on a local subnet.

At various times during the day her workstation will act as if the connection was lost.  The keypoint screen(s) will change colors (i.e. the background changes from blue to yellow) and she can no longer access the server.  Screen refreshes are erratic, some keystrokes are not acknowledged by the server or are delayed, and other oddities.   

There are no other problems with connectivity on her workstation (EX: LAN/WAN, other workstations, other servers, etc.) during the time that she loses connection to the Keypoint server.  We have twenty plus other users on this LAN and all the other systems are working fine.

We called your tech support last week and they suggested that the problem was workstation related and that we should uninstall and reinstall the workstation software which I have done.  The uninstall obviously did not completely remove the old version as her old profile was still intact when we ran the reinstall. 

The registry entries are NOT removed on an uninstall. They are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->J.River and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->J.River.

You can remove these two J.River folders to clear out the registry entries HOWEVER that will NOT change the problems you are seeing because the registry data isn't used AFTER A CONNECTION IS MADE.

What is the next step in troubleshooting this problem?  Is there a procedure for a COMPLETE uninstall (client, server, profile, registry entries, and the server license)?  Should we try that?  Will another re-install make any difference or is there something else we should try?

Thanks for your help,
   Dave 

Did you reinstall the version you had OR an update? Versions older than 5.1.21 use a windows library file (mfc42.dll) that sometimes seems to get messed up on some systems by other installed software. The newer versions doesn't use this file and may solve your problem.

Try installing it and report back.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:48:58 pm by Bob »

Page created in 0.011 seconds with 20 queries.