ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr  (Read 1382 times)

aaronst

• Place Personal Text Here
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« on: September 28, 2004, 09:04:57 am »

We are having a few intermittent problems with our current set-up. We are using ICETCP 4.4 emulation 7.10a installed on a 5 server Win2k Citrix XP farm FR3.

We have copied the ICETCP.ini into all of the users Windows directories within personal home folders.

Now the intermittent problem? Sometimes when you open the client from within the user’s session it will open with all the correct host information, Great!! And other times (with the same user) you will open the client and it will only show host name and all the other settings are incorrect and reverted back to a default setting, as if cannot read the *.ini file.

Now what’s even stranger is that if you keep closing and opening the client application eventually it picks up the correct host settings and everything is fine???

Any idea on what is causing this problem ?

We have done all the various things suggested in the forum relating to the registry keys and folder permissions but still have the same problem.

Please help…

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 04:46:41 pm »

We talked about this quite a bit this afternoon. The way the program works is that when you startup 4.4 it runs iceconfig which looks in the local windows directory for the icetcp.ini file. If it finds the icetcp.ini file it OPENS it as a regular file in READ-ONLY mode and scans through it for hosts. Iceconfig internally builds a list of hosts from the icetcp.ini file and then closes the file. Once you select a host it "writes" it out as a private string which is then picked up by the Deja32.exe, the emulator and used as the host to open.

Now this works fine with plain users on 2k/xp and also with citrix on a single server we have here. In the past we've also tried it with multiple servers when we had them setup.

From your last post what I'm  hearing you say is that the list of hosts in the icetcp.ini file ISN'T appearing in the scroll box in iceconfig.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be able to read that icetcp.ini file. You said you had this setup as a desktop and not as a series of public apps which should make it even more foolproof. I was hoping you could check the icetcp.ini file to see if it was any different after sessions in which it didn't display the host list. If you see it isn't the same please email me one and I'll check it out.

I'm going to throw out some ideas and see if any of them sound possible:

How are you putting the icetcp.ini file into the personal windows directory? Is there something dynamic about that or should they always get the last one they had? Is it possible that the icetcp.ini file is getting copied to the windows system directory after or during the time iceconfig is started and not before??

How about some glitch in that procedure when dealing with multiple servers?

Is it possible that the way you have the server setup that iceconfig isn't being allowed to read that file for some reason??

I'm going to send you a seperate email because I'm out tomorrow and if you have any ideas I'd like you to talk to Jim Nordgaard about them...

tkingdom

• Tim Kingdom
  • ERP system analyst at Princess Yachts
Re:Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 06:09:32 am »

We are still having problems picking up the icetcp.ini file. This file is copied as part of our network logon script to each users Windows folder.

A further piece of information, when the icetcp.ini file is not being read if you delete it and try to recreate it using the Ice Configuration program you can’t change any of the settings.

Looking at our problem from a different angle is it possible to change the following default program settings to:
Terminal Type = Wyse60   24 Lines   instead of ANSI
Keyboard Language = United Kingdom   instead of United States
If this was possible when users ran Dejawint the main connection settings would be correct and they could select a host from the drop down list.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re:Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 10:05:24 am »

We are still having problems picking up the icetcp.ini file. This file is copied as part of our network logon script to each users Windows folder.
Were you able to check out any of the ideas we suggested in the last message? Is it possible that you aren't getting the icetcp.ini file copied consistently to the users windows directory? It would be good to know if the icetcp.ini and registry entries that you sent me are from a non-functioning setup because they worked fine here.
When you said before that if you "open and close" the program repeatedly it eventually works, I assume that is WITHOUT logging out of the citrix server??? If you DO log out it would seem to point to a multiple server problem.

A further piece of information, when the icetcp.ini file is not being read if you delete it and try to recreate it using the Ice Configuration program you can’t change any of the settings.

Looking at our problem from a different angle is it possible to change the following default program settings to:
Terminal Type = Wyse60   24 Lines   instead of ANSI
Keyboard Language = United Kingdom   instead of United States
If this was possible when users ran Dejawint the main connection settings would be correct and they could select a host from the drop down list.

Just for informational purposes, when iceconfig cannot create a icetcp.ini with new settings, can you try to create a file in the windows directory and let me know if you can??

Would you try copying a correct icetcp.ini profile into the users windows directory on logon and give it READ-ONLY attributes and see what happens then? I tried that here and it works fine.

When you have trouble with it, you are saying the HOST is still there with the IP address and ONLY the terminal type settings are wrong??

BTW, you don't have mixed versions of 4.4 on your citrix servers right? (like something more than a couple of years old).

tkingdom

• Tim Kingdom
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 04:57:02 am »

Answers to your questions:

We have checked the .ini file when it can’t be read and it is not changing.

We copy the .ini file using xcopy to the Users Windows folder as they log on to our network.

Every other Application is running ok so we think our Citrix XP setup is fine.

Yes we can write to the Windows directory when Dejawint isn’t not working, but not using Dejawint. This is the same when we try to use Ice Configuration it will not always work.

We have tried using the .ini file as read only and it made no difference, I even tried using a new .ini file with only 1 HOST set to Auto Select and Connect but that made no difference either.

When it’s not working the HOST flagged as Auto Select doesn’t appear to be selected. However if you look in the dropdown box all the HOST names appear. It doesn’t matter which HOST you select it only reads the HOST name and not the IP Address or any of the other setting.

You were correct in assuming that we are not logging out of Citrix and finding that if we open and close the Program repeatedly that it sometimes works. Yesterday I left a session logged on to Citrix and found that through out the day it was working then not working then working again. This is on an administrators account so rules out permissions which we have increased for ALL Users anyway.

These are newly installed Servers and have only had this version of Dejawint on them.
We were using a really old version on Citrix before we upgraded XP and were thinking of going back but at present can’t find the disks.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:45:15 am »

Thanks for the very detailed feedback. We'll get a technical meeting together and see if we can figure out what could be going on. The bit about it working sometimes and not others is really odd.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 03:27:17 pm »

Ok, we are going to try a couple of things. I'm going to email you a version of iceconfig with some changes and a couple of checks to put up a message box if something out of the ordinary happens. Make a backup of the existing iceconfig.exe and put the one I send you in it's place.

Also, after looking at the icetcp.ini file I got from you, I want you to go into  iceconfig and delete the profile (it's named Chess and hit apply. This will set the profile back to default and you will need to exit and restart iceconfig and reselect the terminal type and auto select switches. The point of this is to see if there is a problem if there is only a default profile.

Let us know what you find. Thanks...

tkingdom

• Tim Kingdom
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 09:26:22 am »

Thanks for the new iceconfig.exe file.
We had already changed the icetcp.ini file to a default profile.

Renamed the old iceconfig.exe file to .bak and loaded the new one. Tried to run DajaWint and had the same problems as before, but no error messages. Next I ran the Iceconfig program and it was able to see the host names, but was unable to change any of the settings. I deleted the icetcp.ini file and tried to create a new one but was unable; all it created was a blank file. There have been no error messages at any stage.
After a while the program started working and I was able to create a new icetcp.ini file, again there were no any errors messages at any stage. I reran DejaWint and it loaded up fine however on occasions it is losing some of the setting IE: keyboard, colour, disable exit and ctrl C. I have made the .ini file read only because when it was losing a setting it was changing the .ini file, it is also sometimes changing any other session you may have open making the screen go blank.
It doesn’t seem much different to us, works when it wants maybe a little more often.

This now beginning to drive us ALL mad!! We are thinking of going back to your unsupported 16 bit version 4 which is annoying having paid for your 32 bit version.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Metaframe XP, Win2kSvr
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 04:23:21 pm »

Thanks for the new iceconfig.exe file.
We had already changed the icetcp.ini file to a default profile.

Renamed the old iceconfig.exe file to .bak and loaded the new one. Tried to run DejaWint
dejawint?? You should be running deja32.exe!
and had the same problems as before, but no error messages. Next I ran the Iceconfig program and it was able to see the host names, but was unable to change any of the settings. I deleted the icetcp.ini file and tried to create a new one but was unable; all it created was a blank file. There have been no error messages at any stage.
After a while the program started working and I was able to create a new icetcp.ini file, again there were no any errors messages at any stage. I reran DejaWint and it loaded up fine however on occasions it is losing some of the setting IE: keyboard, colour, disable exit and ctrl C. I have made the .ini file read only because when it was losing a setting it was changing the .ini file, it is also sometimes changing any other session you may have open making the screen go blank.
It doesn’t seem much different to us, works when it wants maybe a little more often.
I really am at a loss. If there was an error generated on the read you should have seen an error box.

The calls to read the profile strings and generate a profile are completely windows standard. They are in fact the same calls as the 16 bit version (though of course they are using the 32 bit sdk).
This now beginning to drive us ALL mad!! We are thinking of going back to your unsupported 16 bit version 4 which is annoying having paid for your 32 bit version.
I'm really sorry that this been such a problem. Since you can enter the host and autoconnect into a shortcut, if we could default the terminal type differently somehow, would that meet your needs??

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 20 queries.