ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: License / Activation  (Read 4147 times)

LynnR

• Place Personal Text Here
License / Activation
« on: December 27, 2004, 03:21:42 pm »

I just purchased a 10-client ICE.TCP Pro for Terminal server. My activation came back as a 1-PC license. Obviously, this can't be right. What do I need to do to get this problem corrected.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 03:32:02 pm »

You have 2 license keys, a 1 user which is for the terminal server machine and a terminal server activation key. As long as you put in those two licenses you are set.

LynnR

Re:License / Activation
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 03:38:42 pm »

Pardon me for my ignorance, but where is the 2nd license key generated from? I have my serial number and I got the one activation key in the e-mail but that's it. Am I supposed to have (2) license certificates??

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 07:35:45 pm »

You should have gotten a second license key when you purchased the product. Did you get it directly from us or from a distributor?

LynnR

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 07:17:14 am »

I got this from a distributor. I e-mailed sales@jriver.com and they say they have to manually trigger a 2nd license internally for me. Unfortunately there's only two guys that can do that and they're both out. Good thing this isn't the nuclear "football".

Just a friendly suggestion to simply package what I need in the box so I can use the activation technique that's already in place. The soft underbelly of technology is the needless obfuscation inherent in complex solutions for simple problems.  

In the meantime, my installation awaits the return of your licensing kings.....

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 09:34:04 am »

My apologies for the inconvenience. The license is keyed off of the company name so it cannot be included in the box.

LynnR

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 09:49:48 am »

Not to belabor the point, but my company name is not on the beige License Certificate that is included in the box. I go to your registration page, enter the serial number from the License Certificate, put in my company name and e-mail address and a key is generated for me.  If you feel you need a second level of licensing for thin-clients, put a second License Certificate dedicated to thin clients in the box as well. Better yet, create a special Serial Number sequence that triggers the proper licensing keys to be generated. You have a unique part number for thin-clients so there is a level of product differentation already.

In a nutshell, this licensing process doesn't have to be this convuluted. Your automation for standard ICE.TCP Pro licensing works seamlessly, it's just not finished out for thin-clients. Being in the computer business this long, the thin-client licensing process looks like an after-thought.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 10:06:51 am »

Thanks for the good points you are making!

The license server takes your serial number and company name and generates a license key from it. At one point, there was only a unlimited version of the terminal server license available and it's value was very high so we made a decision to keep the database and license generation for that off of the internet. We should probably revisit that in light of the smaller user count terminal server licenses now available.

LynnR

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 08:48:17 am »

It's Wednesday morning, checking to see if your staff is available to get my activation keys for this version.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 11:04:54 am »

There is no one in this week but I'll see what I can do.

LynnR

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 11:14:05 am »

I really need to get this installation in place, it's required to go-live Jan 2.

LynnR

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 01:23:22 pm »

I just received an e-mail message, but the respond e-mail does not work. My registered e-mail address is correct, I just need an e-mail address to contact you

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 01:01:07 pm »

I just sent you the license.
If you have any trouble, let us know.

brenny

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 04:35:55 pm »

I have 15 licenses, before today we had 14 of them allocated. I allocated the last one and installed the software on the new computer. Tried to run the config wiz and it gives me this message.

"Error accessign sequence # from the license file."

We had a computer tech in about 2 months ago to move the license administrator to a new computer. Could this be the problem? and how do fix it?
We are also running windows xp

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
License / Activation
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 09:59:36 pm »

If you run licenseadmin on the "new" license server and you see one slot still open you should be able to get a sequence number with configwizard. Make SURE that the TCP5_USER share on the new licenseadmin computer is FULL CONTROL (writable) for EVERYONE.
Run configwizard by BROWSING to it on the new machine. It's under TCP5_USER/TCP-PRO/configwizard.exe
for the 5.x client or TCP5_USER/TCP4-32/configwizard44.exe for the 4.4 client.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.