ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Citrix/Terminal Server Questions and Answers  (Read 21289 times)

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Citrix/Terminal Server Questions and Answers
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:49:05 pm »

This thread is for Citrix and Terminal Server related questions.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Running on a Citrix/Terminal Server console
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 01:31:54 pm »

The following info is ONLY for running Pro ON the Citrix/Terminal CONSOLE. If you have a Citrix/Terminal Server version and are running from a THIN CLIENT ONLY the following DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU!

Running Pro on a Citrix/Terminal Server console is like running on any other client machine, you need a unique sequence number if there are Pro clients on other NON-Citrix/Terminal Server machines. The way to do this is to reserve sequence number 1 on the NON-Citrix/Terminal Server license admin server. That way when the Pro client on the Citrix/Terminal Server machine grabs a sequence number from the admin server ON the  Citrix/Terminal Server machine it will naturally be sequence number 1 which is reserved on the rest of the network and so avoids the potential sequence number conflict.

If  you have multiple Citrix/Terminal Server licenses and you want to run on each of the consoles you will need to reserve sequence number 2 on the NON-Citrix/Terminal license admin server and reserve sequence number 1 on the second Citrix/Terminal Server license admin server so it's client grabs sequence number 2 and so on up to the number of Citrix/Terminal Server licenses you have.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Migrating to a new server
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:13:37 am »

If you are going to replace an existing terminal server and you need time to transition users from the old server to the new server you can use the following steps:

Go to our website and request a new "eval key" (for the server you are phasing out).  http://portage.jriver.com/tempkey.asp

Once you have this, we can issue a temporary (30-day) terminal server key (again for the server you are phasing out). Call us at 612-677-8200 with the company name that you used to get the temporary key above and request a terminal server demo key.

Install PRO on the new terminal server.

With these two temp keys in hand, you will first need to move the old licenses and company name from the old server to the new server. Run licenseadmin on the old server and print the licenses and company name out or cut and paste them into a document you can take to the new server. Move to the new server, run licenseadmin and put in the license keys and company named that you got off of the old server.

You can then enter the new eval key and temporary terminal server key on the server being phased out. Do this by first changing the company name in licenseadmin, this will delete the old licenses and allow you to enter the temporary keys. Do NOT try to add thin client users to the old server after doing this. All new thin client users should be added to the new server.

NOTE:  You cannot run Telnet Pro sessions on both terminal server CONSOLES at the same time. Thin clients will work from both servers until the demo times out. After the demo times out only the new server will allow thin clients.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:05:59 pm by Bob »

tonkyman

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:50:49 pm »

We have a unix server that we access with TCP Pro. I have a windows NT server that contains all the license info and seq numbers.

We are replacing the Unix box and all our workstations with a Terminal/application server. We will not be using TCP Pro as our main application any more but we do need to run it side-by-side with our Terminal server for the month or so it takes to deploy the new software.

My question is:
Can we put a copy of TCP Pro on the terminal server and it still grab a seq number from the NT Server since our thin clients will have the same "terminal name" as our old PC's?

We need to remove all the old PC's to have room for the new equipment and running TCP Pro on the Thin Clients in a window would be the perfect solution.

Can you give me any advise??

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:11:34 pm »

You can run PRO on the terminal server BUT you need a terminal server/citrix license for PRO to do that. Call sales at 612-677-8200 for pricing info.

tonkyman

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 10:24:19 am »

So! even though we own 40 license for pro and are only using 22 I'll have to purchase additional license in order to phase out the old server and stop using TCP Pro? Once the migration is made to the new server we will not be using TCP Pro at all. Is there not a temporary solution. I hate to pour more money at something we are only going to use for less than a month, after that time I'll have fourty licenses for a product we will never use again. Buying more licenses makes no sense to me.

Thanks for your help,
Tony

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:01:37 am »

Our licensing and software production are geared to helping users of our product continue to use it with new technology like terminal server/citrix. There are people moving their emulation systems to thin clients from individual PC's and want to use our product in that environment, our goal is to help them continue to use our product. We also have new users migrating from Windows based accounting solutions to Unix/Linux based solutions and feel that we can offer them part of the solution. These are our goals.

tonkyman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:43:11 pm »

Bob,
I do understand you position but I hope you can understand mine. We are not leaving your product because we didn't like it nor because it didn't work well. We love TCP Pro and have been a loyal customer for more than 13 years. Our move to a windows based product was not our choice, our software vendor forced us to move to that platform. As IT manager all I want to do is make a smooth transition for our users, I had hoped you could help.

Thanks for your time,
Tony T

rohitprasad

Re:Citrix/Terminal Server Questions and Answers
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 11:56:12 pm »

Will using a Terminal Server and connecting to it remotely improve speed as compared to the normal telnet. I understand Terminal Server brings in various other benefits like security. Does it improve speed in access ? If so, what is the improvement percentage ?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 09:01:39 am »

Using Citrix/Terminal server over a remote connection will be SLOWER than having PRO at the remote connection with a normal session. This is because the emulation is CHARACTER based so when you are runnning PRO at the remote site you are moving 8 bit characters back and forth whereas when you are running a Citrix/Terminal server session over a remote link you are moving the bitmap of the screen. No matter how efficient windows/citrix can make that it's still going to be less efficient than simply moving characters. Since you need to have a VPN to connect to Citrix/Terminal server anyway from the remote location you are better off opening up telnet through the VPN and PRO on the remote to talk directly to the Unix machine.

mbyrd

Re:Citrix/Terminal Server Questions and Answers
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:15:09 am »

Hi, I've had an interesting question come from one of my customers.  They were previously using a Tarantella environment where they could send print jobs from the Unix server back to a print spooler on the Tarantella server, then finally back to their Java client on a local web browser, wich would send the print job to what ever their current local printer was.  

This customer is now using Ice TCP for Citrix, and would like to be able to do something similar in this environment.  Basically, we'd like to send print jobs from a printer on our Unix system to the local printer on the end-users system.  I saw the automatically-created printer that shows up in the Telnet Pro session when you sign in, is there a way to create a Unix print spooler capable of sending to that printer by default?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:45:43 am »

I know there is a way to tie the citrix users printer to a local printer at their end though I can't tell you how to do it.

You didn't say how your application does printing. Assuming it uses the unix spooler, you could try setting up LPR on Unix to talk to a LPD on citrix then have that printer remapped to the user OR you could setup ICELP on citrix and the Unix machine and remapping that to the user.

jgalog

Re: Citrix/Terminal Server Questions and Answers
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 09:04:35 am »

I have a issue with terminal server I need help with. I had to reinstall my ICE-Pro and now cannot get the terminal sessions to individualize. I've got the server software load on the terminal server , the licenses and have run the client install on the terminal server. The problem comes in when I go to setup the ICElp in each individuals terminal session , the setting that I setup for one are the settings for all. In other words , I setup user A with it printer . then go to User B and setup it's printer. After I setup user B , User A has B's setting.
This cannot be but is HELP HELP HELP ... Has anyone got a clue What is Wrong ?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 10:15:57 am »

First, did you install a current version?? Terminal server requires 5.1. The current version is 5.1.26

Second, IceLP puts it's settings into an icetcp.ini file in the users WINDOWS directory. If you EVER were able to get different settings for different users then the users must have had unique WINDOWS directories preserved across logins. You will need to check you terminal server settings to see how this could be done.

jgalog

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:11:45 pm »

:'( Hey Bob, each user does have it's own ICETCP.ini But for some reason everyone I go to setup rewrites the ICETCP.ini in the WINNT Folder. Whats up with that?  ??? This has worked great for 7 years now. Have you got any clue as to why it not working now or how to fix the issue . Thanks JGALOG  .... P.S. I've got about 25 users that have not been able to print now for 3 days . HELP QUICK would be greatly helpful right now .... I know it's  your day off ...sorry . BUT PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.   Thanks Again
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.