ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: ICE.TEN on thin client  (Read 1625 times)

Nigel145

• Place Personal Text Here
ICE.TEN on thin client
« on: September 01, 2005, 06:13:56 pm »

After reading through a few pages describing my company's new system architecture plan, I have a concern. Currently we run PC workstations on a peer-to-peer network with serial connections to our legacy UNIX server from each PC that needs to connect. If we move to a server/thin-client type Windows architecture, will we still be able to connect to the UNIX server via the existing serial connections using ICE.TEN? My understanding of the thin-client model indicates that this may not be possible because each thin-client is actually running off of the server. If ICE.TEN is then activated from the thin-client PC, won't it try to attach to the serial port on the server, rather than the serial port on the thin-client PC? If not, then how does ICE.TEN resolve the hardware, since the thin-client PC is actually running from the server?

Nigel145

ICE.TEN on thin client
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 07:38:58 pm »

Actually, I think I might have answered my own question. ICE.TEN does not support any version of Windows terminal server. Am I correct then in stating that if we convert to a Windows Server/Thin-Client network, we will no longer have the ability to connect to our legacy UNIX server?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
ICE.TEN on thin client
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 09:49:51 am »

You are correct. The thin client will try to run ICE.TEN off of the server. The logical conclusion is that you would need a multiport serial board on the terminal server with a separate serial port for each user that would need simultaneous access to the unix machine.

If the thin client has any capability at all, you COULD leave ICE.TEN on the thin clients and let them connect to the unix machine the way you currently do, with a serial line to each thin client OR

You could upgrade to the Terminal Server/Citrix version of ICE.TCP Pro which would allow you multiple connections to the unix machine from the terminal server.  Of course you would need a network adapter on the unix machine to do this. You may or may not alreadly have this. You'll need to do a little research on the unix side to find out if this option will work for you.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:48:07 am by Bob »

Nigel145

ICE.TEN on thin client
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 06:12:22 pm »

Thanks.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.