ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: off site can't open a port  (Read 1305 times)

ira

off site can't open a port
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:51:25 pm »

I"ve been using iceten for many years, just recently upgraded some P.C.'s to Dells. Bought the newest version of ice ten and off site but all ports I try to configure say they don't exist or are bad!!!   ???  What to do? :'(

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
off site can't open a port
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:41:07 am »

I've been hearing this frequently about Dells lately. The first thing to do is to turn off the fax service. It ties up the existing port (usually com3). Next you can run hyperterminal to see if it can connect to the com port. What you want to do is to:
start->All Programs->accessories->communications->hyperterminal
It will popup a new connection box. Put some name in like "test", hit OK go down to "connect using", find your com port (DON'T use the modem, look for com1, com2, com3 or com4 (you probably only have one com port).
Hit OK. On the next screen change the baud rate to 9600 and the flow control to Xon/Xoff and hit OK. If you get an error, the port is still in use by some program on windows and won't work in ICE either. At this point you will probably have to call Dell and tell them about going through hyperterminal and ask them how to find and shut off what app is locking the port.

When you find out, please let the rest of us know!!

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.