ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LPD problem on Windows XP  (Read 26426 times)

dakel

• Tech support
  • Place Personal Text Here
LPD problem on Windows XP
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:57:28 am »

We have a customer with an ICE TCP PRO 5.1.19 installed on a Windows XP SP1 computer.

His problem is that he has connected a HP Officejet 6110 USB printer and, if he send to print a file, printer shows control scape sequences and it does not respect printer configuration (letter size, tabs, etc).

If he has the same installation but with Windows 98 works fine and if he uses an old LPD service (Reflection) on Windows XP works fine, too.

He tested several USB printers with the same result.

Someone could help us?

Thanks in advanced

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:58:05 am »

2000 and XP come with their own LPR/LPD client/servers.
Try them to see if that solves your problem.

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs-> Add/Remove Windows Components-> Other Network File and Print Services
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 09:58:53 am by Bob »

dakel

• Tech support
Re:LPD problem on Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 03:10:06 am »

Thanks for the answer.

Do you know what is the printer queue name to configure on UNIX to a USB printer?

Best regards

dakel

• Tech support
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 06:10:54 am »

You can forget the queue name question.

We still having the same problem. He can print but it does not appear the correct configuration (Control sequences).

Are there any other step to configure Windows XP LPD service?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 04:49:56 pm »

It sounds like the application on the Unix machine is not formatting the print job properly. The reason I think this is the case is that LPR/LPD is a completely transparent protocol and the application on the Unix machine formats the job for a specific printer. The Windows machine gets the job preformatted for the printer chosen by the app on the Unix side so it SHOULDN'T be doing any processing of the print job.

You could try using the Generic/Text only print driver on the Windows box for LPD but I suspect the problem is really on the Unix App side.

dakel

• Tech support
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 02:00:04 am »

I thought the same but if he connects the printer locally on UNIX system works fine and with another LPD service (Reflection) too.

He uses an easy C program to apply printing configuration (Letter size, font,...)

He can not use Reflection LPD service because is so much old and shows another errors, but it works.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 09:16:22 am »

Did using Generic/Text-Only on Windows make a difference?

dakel

• Tech support
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 09:21:32 am »

No, the same issue. Any ideas? Perhaps we need to configure something on printer manager.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 09:54:00 am »

No, the same issue. Any ideas? Perhaps we need to configure something on printer manager.
Try the raw flag and disable bidirectional support

dakel

• Tech support
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 11:06:55 am »

I am testing with an EPSON-LX 300 printer (Parallel) and I have the same issue.

This model cannot disable bidirectional support but I configure parallel port on motherboard Bios as Normal (Not SSP and not ECP). I configure Print processor as Winprint  RAW.

Tell me if you need more information and if you can test the same installation (Or similar).

Thanks in advanced

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 12:58:42 pm »

Can you try setting up ICELP and see if you get the same or different results?

dakel

• Tech support
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 11:13:43 am »

Could you send me to support@dakel.com a step by step documentation about ICELP to test it?

Thanks

dakel

• Tech support
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 03:34:47 am »

It is a little complicated to explain to our customer.

I think that the problem that we have to solve is the following:

James River LPD service does not send correctly control sequences to Windows driver and recognize it as plain text.

It must to have any way to solve it with LPD service. Which differences there are between Windows 98 and XP to fail on the last one?

Thanks for your support;

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 10:15:00 am »

Our LPD doesn't do ANY processing of the print stream, it attempts to send the stream unaltered to the windows print device. That said, it's uncertain whether or not the Unix side is setting the RAW flag in the LPR part properly.

I will send you a replacement LPD to test. Make SURE that LPD is NOT running on the machine you are going to test this on, then drop the file I send you over the top of the same file in the ICETCP5 directory.

guygo

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 03:38:48 am »

Just to confirm a test that I did to print successfully from unix LPR spool to remote printer on win XP PC running Jriver LPD service.
By forcing the LP spooler on the UNIX server to tag the file as a RAW datatype resolves the issue.
For example  if the Unix print command is changed to
 lp - o raw -dremoteprintername  filename  then any PCL escape commands in the file "filename" will get performed rather than be printed as text.
This did not have to be done with Jriver PRO  LPD service when running on a win98 PC. But on win XP you need to force the datatype to be RAW at the LPR generation point.
For some reason , if you do not , the print job defaults to text datatype and WinXP winprint  driver dumps any "escape" commands as pure text and they do not function, no matter what you do with different WinXP printer drivers or with settings in Jriver LPD service on the Win XP PC. This sort of confirms what Bob says. You must force the datatype raw on the spoole file or it will not be recognised as raw at the LPD service and defaults to text datatype.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.