ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Login Issue  (Read 3042 times)

sueb

• Place Personal Text Here
Login Issue
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:57:23 am »

I currently use ICE-TEN Version 4.7.12 on SCO Unixware.   I have a problem with Dejawin on one of my PCs.  This computer is in a new office and had new wire run for the port.  The problem is that when I open Dejawin, I get the login prompt, but it scrolls REALLY quickly and gives a few meaningless characters after the prompts ~ thus rendering it useless.  I have compared all of the settings to my other PCs, uninstalled, reinstalled, changed keyboards, changed settings, double checked and triple checked everything and nothing works to solve this issue.  I am thinking that it may have something to do with the new wire that was run into that office.  Any thoughts??

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Login Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 09:09:46 am »

It could be that the wire is too long, there is a limit to the length of an rs-232 connection. It could be that the wire runs near some equipment that generated a strong electromagnetic field. Also, it's possible you have a bad ground on the cable. It could also be a bad serial port on either side. You could try using a different port on the unix side and carefully check the ground wire from end to end (ground is pin 5 on a 9 pin connector, pin 7 on a 25 pin connector).

sueb

Re: Login Issue
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:29:38 am »

I know that it is almost two years since I originally posted this, but the issue has remained unresolved and is back.  I am having my networking person check the wiring, but I did actually get a login to appear on the Dejawin screen, but at 9600 baud (on ICE-TEN and UNIX).  Unfortunately keystrokes were not accepted at that slow of a baud rate.  So, are there any other settings that I could manipulate?  I normally use VT100, 38400 baud, Comm Port 1, 8 bit word length, no parity, 0 character delay.  I am thinking that it is still a wiring issue, as the other terminals in the office run fine with a 38400 baud.

Thank you.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:32:20 am »

If it's a multiport serial board, did you try moving the connector on the unix side to a different port?

Also, does it accept ANY keystrokes? You could increase the "character delay" under the connect tab under iceconfig to help with function keys but if it doesn't accept any keystrokes, that will not help.

I still think your problem is either a bad serial port on the PC, bad serial port on the Unix side or bad wiring.

If is was me, I'd try the following in order:

1) A different PC, say a laptop, at the station that is giving you trouble to see if the PC serial port is the problem.
2) Swapping the cable running to that station to a different port on the unix side to see if the problem is the unix serial port.
3) Using a different cable from the station to the unix serial port.

Note that I've gotten blown serial ports on the PC side and the Unix side when the wiring was on a long run and where there was a nearby lightning hit (the wiring acts like a long antenna to pick up the emf from the lightning and blows the rs232 line drivers on the serial port).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:34:12 am by Bob »

sueb

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:32:59 am »

Bad wiring...the problem is solved!  Thanks so much for the suggestions, I do appreciate it!

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.