ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Problems with Multi-Functional Printers?  (Read 7150 times)

Chris.Hazlewood

Problems with Multi-Functional Printers?
« on: November 10, 2006, 08:36:51 am »

I am a new user/administrator of ICElp for the company that I just started working for.  I added an ICE printer to a customer's UNIX server and was doing the Windows setup on their employee's home office printer.  At first, it looked like it was going to work perfectly.  She would submit a print job to the server and point it at the ICElp printer I setup for her.  I watched the print queue o nthe server and saw the job get dropped into the folder and then leave out to the employee's home office printer.  But when it gets to the printer, the job errors out as if it was not able to process the job.

One of my guys here setup the ICE client on his machine to accept jobs from the customer's server and it worked perfectly.

Here is the specs for the customer employee's home office printer:
PC w/ Windows XP
HP 1200 series
Windows printing is fine.

As a work-around, I am thinking of making her print to a file (PDF) and then using Adobe to open that file and print it out.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is this a configurations issue?  Driver issue?

Chris

Chris Hazlewood
"Ride to live.  Live to Ride"
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Problems with Multi-Functional Printers?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 09:26:43 am »

You could try turning on the status box in the icelp configuration. Double check the settings and printer selection there as well.

Printing to a PDF then to the printer should also work as well.

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:20:35 am »

I will try that.

Are there any known issues with using a multifunction device, such as an HP 1200, which is connected via USB?
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:38:51 am »

Sometimes the multifunction printers cause trouble with passthrough print but not with ICElp. ICElp can't handle winprinters but that is not a winprinter. Make sure you've selected the right printer "device" in the printer pulldown in the iceconfig. Multifunction printers often present more than one "device" (like a fax) in printers.

Since that printer also has a parallel interface you could also try using a parallel cable to it if that machine has a parallel port.

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 12:36:04 pm »

I checked the box for for status message, but all it cause was a popup stating that there was a printer error.  The only HP 1200 that is in the printer folder is the  printer itself.  Not the scanner or the fax.  She may need to install the updated drivers for the printer.  I am going to try to implement the PDF workaround.
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:49:32 pm »

I got that same error when the printer that was in the select box had it's name changed. When I reselected it with the new name it worked fine however it sounds like you didn't see the same thing (you'd have a printer in the select pulldown with a different name).

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 01:01:41 pm »

I found someone who's setup IS WORKING.  This person uses an HP Officejet 6210 (scan, print, fax, copy).  In the printers and faxes folder, it lists the devices seperately.  My thinking is that the drivers for the HPPSC 1200 Series need to be updated so all devices show up.

What do you think Bob?
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 01:06:46 pm »

I think that is certainly worth a try...

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 02:31:30 pm »

She has the most current driver which dates back to 2004.  I checked the print processor and it lists Modiprint, winprint, and lexmark.  Winprint is the one that is checked.  Is this what is wrong with it?
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 02:38:40 pm »

That's not the same as a winprinter. Anyway, on mine the winprint option is set to RAW. This should be correct for you as well. The HP site shows that printer as supporting PCL and Postscript. You need to be using the PCL driver or driver option. Postscript will not work...

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 03:11:27 pm »

the driver does not say PCL nor Post Script.  She wasn't exactly sure if she had the current driver either so I had he download the latest and greatest from HP.  Where would it show the PCL driver?
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 03:30:08 pm »

I've not done that with HP drivers but with Lexmark. The Lexmark drivers are seperate, one for PostScript, one for PCL(MS).

I just checked at HP for this printer (it IS a laserjet 1200 right??) and the first driver on the list is HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 ( 6 sept 2006)

Try that one. Also be sure that is the one you've selected when you choose the printer driver. There may be more than one in windows.

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 03:32:19 pm »

The full printer name is HP PSC 1210.  I cn see if the PCL5 driver will work for it.  This is a multifunction device:  print, scan, and copy.
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Chris.Hazlewood

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 03:38:01 pm »

Here is some feedback from HP:

Whitney: I regret to inform you that postscript printing is not supported by the HP all-in-one        printers. The printer can print PCL3 (Printer Control Language 3) only.

According to them, it already has a PCL driver.

Could it be that because it has the single driver for all three functions?  Print, Scan, Copy?  I would hate to have to make her spend more money just so she can print to her old printer.
Chris Hazlewood
Semper Fi!

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 03:43:02 pm »

It's NOT a 1200 then. I just looked it up. It's one of those low cost winprinters.

Print language and technology
Print technology: HP PhotoREt III color layering technology capable
Print language: Lightweight Imaging Device Interface Language (LIDIL)

You are out of luck. It doesn't print PCL, it's LIDIL which means it can only print graphics, the windows driver turns the text into graphics before sending it to the printer instead of the printer doing that itself.

ICELP can't do raster printing so you'll have to use a different printer.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:15:25 am by Bob »
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.