ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: BACKING UP A UNIX SYSTEM THROUGH ICE.TEN TO A CD DRIVE  (Read 1572 times)

pittsfield of ky. inc.

BACKING UP A UNIX SYSTEM THROUGH ICE.TEN TO A CD DRIVE
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:58:41 am »

I'M HAVING TROUBLE BACKING UP MY UNIX SCO OPEN REL 5 TO MY TAPE DRIVE. BAD DRIVES,I HAVE REPLACED 4 ALREADY.IS IT POSSIBLE TO BACK UP TO A CD  DRIVE ON MY WINDOWS SYSTEM? HELP, DAVE

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: BACKING UP A UNIX SYSTEM THROUGH ICE.TEN TO A CD DRIVE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:16:35 am »

Are you trying to backup the whole system or just some data??

I would not try backing up the whole system. It would take forever. You could do data backups using ucopy. It would help if you were connecting at as fast a baud rate as possible.

Are you sure your tape drive problem is the drive and not the controller, termination or the tapes themselves? We have a  system that's been backing up to 250 meg 1/4" cartridge tapes for years, reusing the tapes as well and it never gets a failure.

One thing about tapes, you should not leave a cartridge tape in the machine for any period of time without running the drive occasionally (I'd say once a week at least). This is because the pressure on the rubber capstan wheel will leave a flat spot on it messing up the drive. I have a cron script that simply retensions the tape once a week to make sure it gets a work out.

pittsfield of ky. inc.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:01:50 pm »

I'M USING A HP SURE STORE TAPE DRIVE, BACKING UP THROUGH THE UNIX SERVER. MY TAPES KEEP GETTING ATE UP AND BROKE. I'M NOT
GOOD AT WRITTING  COMMANDS BUT THOUGHT I MITE BE ABLE TO SEND FILE PRO FILES TO ONE OF OUR WINDOW BASED PC'S AND WRITE ON A CD DRIVE. CAN YOU HELP??  DAVE

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:09 pm »

You should read through the manual about setting up ucopy. It has to be in place on the Unix machine before you can copy files across. See:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/ice.ten.pdf
And setup ucopy on the unix side.
After setting it up if you have trouble with it you can test it:
http://www.icetcp.com/support/ice-ten.html

If you filepro files are very large it will take some time for the transfer.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.