ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Laptop and screen garbage  (Read 5178 times)

thegeek

Laptop and screen garbage
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:10:22 pm »

I have set up a company's ICE.Ten products on all of their systems using WYSE160 25 line emulation.  It works great!  The problem is we are trying to run ICE.OFFSITE from a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop w/ Windows XP SP2 to connect remotely.  It connects fine but the screen does not display properly once the application loads (Keypoint).  The previous screens do not clear and the formatting is all screwed up.  I have tried every possible emulation, parity, and modem setting there is and every combination there of.  Nothing changes.  This is the same display problem we had on the ICE.TEN machines before we got the emulation correct.  However, on those machines every time we changes the emulation a little the screen changed a little.  With the laptop and ICE.OFFSITE nothing changes.  We also updated the video drivers, changed settings for video in the ini file, tried different modem strings, running in compatibility mode, turning off text services, etc.
Funny thing is the techs at Keypoint remotely connect the same way with no problems.
HELP!
Thank you for your time.

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re: Laptop and screen garbage
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:05:06 pm »

Funny thing is the techs at Keypoint remotely connect the same way with no problems.

How do they connect remotely? Do they run ICE.OFFSITE with a modem?

Also, is the login (to Unix) from the laptop different? In other words, if you use the login account you tried with the notebook on a computer that works does it still work? (IE maybe the one login account on Unix is screwed up.)

The TEN and OFFSITE products are virtually identical, with just a dialer added to OFFSITE. So if the settings, the remote computer and the application are all identical, the only difference is the connection type (serial vs a modem), which the Unix computer (or app) CAN treat differently (ie, switching to a different terminal type). Otherwise, the only other difference is the laptop itself. You may want to try OFFSITE on another computer with a modem.

JimN

thegeek

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:46:16 am »

I just found out that the techs at Keypoint do not connect via modem so I guess I am all alone in figuring this out.
The login and screens are exactly the same as the computers using ICE.TEN and serial connections.  The words are also there but the formating is all messed up and the previous screens do not properly clear.

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:36:05 am »

It sure seems like a terminal type mismatch. On Unix systems, the OS can distinguish between connections coming through a direct serial line and ones from a modem, and can be configured to do things differently.

Here's my theory of what's happening.

-OFFSITE establishes a connection with the Unix computer and does a telnet negotiation, where OFFSITE tells Unix to use Wyse160 (or whatever you set terminal type to). So Unix accepts Wyse160. Any the telnet connection is established.

-The the connection is handed to another part of Unix, which sets up a shell. However, for some reason the Unix connection from modems is set to change to another terminal type. The shell gives you a prompt, but you don't know anything unsual because a simple prompt doesn't require formatting codes.

-However you run the app, Keypoint which is designed to do only Wyse160 and not any other terminal type, so the screen gets all screwed up.

This is only a theory of course. However, under the above situation, you could not get it so work no matter what terminal type you set in the program.

You can test this by setting the terminal type manually at the Unix shell prompt before running the app. Run with OFFSITE set to Wsye160 25 line.

I think you set the terminal type from the shell by typing:
TERM=wyse60
export TERM

(press enter for each line)

You can type:
stty -a

before and after to check the setting changed correctly.

Then run the app an see if it worked.

JimN

thegeek

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:42 am »

Thanks JimN.  We will try your suggestions.

thegeek

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:00:30 pm »

One question...
The Keypoint staff log in using a different program (unknown to me) through dial-up.  Will changing the terminal type screw them up?  Do we care?  ;)

thegeek

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:21 pm »

Does the export command need $ in front of it like so?  And it needs to be 160 not 60 like you stated, correct?  Just making sure I am totally clear.

TERM=wyse160
export $TERM

thegeek

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:56 pm »

I cannot do anything at the shell prompt because I am forced to login to Keypoint.  If I do not login it disconnects.  How do I get it to let me type the command?

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 03:14:22 pm »

Does the export command need $ in front of it like so?  And it needs to be 160 not 60 like you stated, correct?  Just making sure I am totally clear.

TERM=wyse160
export $TERM

Could be...I'm not sure of the correct form, so I just used what I got from a forum search.

I cannot do anything at the shell prompt because I am forced to login to Keypoint.  If I do not login it disconnects.  How do I get it to let me type the command?

You'll have to talk to your Unix Administrator on that one.

One question...
The Keypoint staff log in using a different program (unknown to me) through dial-up.  Will changing the terminal type screw them up?  Do we care?  ;)

changing the terminal type at the command prompt should only effect the setting during your session/connection.

JimN

thegeek

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 02:49:56 pm »

There is no Unix admin.  Long since gone.  I am it.

I can not enter these commands because the system goes straight to Keypoint.  Would any of this info I found on your ftp site work?

Changing Terminal Types using Escape Sequences

ICE.TEN terminal emulation can be switched “on the fly” using escape sequences.
For example, when running as WYSE60, ICE.TEN will change to ANSI when
you enter ESC~7 (TILDE-7) and back to WYSE60 when you enter ESC~4
(TILDE-4).
These escape sequences, like others that terminals respond to, can be entered
at a UNIX prompt. To manually change the terminal type in DEJAWIN, select
Settings > Session. The changes are temporary; they aren’t saved as are changes
made using SETICE.
When you switch from PCTERM or VT220, the escape sequence is ESCv code
(where code is one of the codes listed below). When switching from other
terminals, use the sequence ESC~ code.

The codes are as follows:

TERMINAL       CODE
PCTERM            5
ANSI                7
VT102              ;
WYSE60/160     4
VT2207            <
VT2208            >
AT&T605          =
IBM3151           9
AT386              ?
Linux                ?

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 04:28:20 pm »

These escape sequences, like others that terminals respond to, can be entered
at a UNIX prompt.

The instructions will work only at a Unix prompt.

If you're the unix admin, then you should have a root or admin login. You could try that for your login (through OFFSITE).

If that doesn't work, you should be able to access the Unix though it's console. Then you could look at the shell scripts and see what's going on.

There is another support person coming back from vacation next week, who knows a lot more about Unix; he might have more ideas.

JimN

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 09:55:49 am »

Make SURE the terminal type is set properly IN THE AUTODIALER. The autodialer settings override the terminal settings in the program.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:25:12 pm by Bob »

thegeek

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 12:30:59 pm »

That did it!
Thank you Bob!

You might mention to the powers that be that that little setting might be useful in the documentation.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:24:15 pm by Bob »

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.