ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: ICE TEN PASS THRU PRINTING WITH LINUX EL 30  (Read 2351 times)

jdgjoss

ICE TEN PASS THRU PRINTING WITH LINUX EL 30
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:20:40 pm »

We are using pass thru printing on Linux ES 3.0 on pcs attached via digi terminal server.  the first job prints fine but subsequent jobs scroll to the screen.  We are using Lexmark T634 T644 Laser printers attached via USB ports on the pcs.  Will the print direct to USB work the same as LPT?
Tried Printing Direct to Ne02 gives Message Ne02 non existant or bad check Windows port settings.  Verified this is the correct port However get same message no matter what Ne port I try???
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:57:11 pm by jdgjoss »

jimn

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Artist
Re: ICE TEN PASS THRU PRINTING WITH LINUX EL 30
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:58:38 am »

First, I assume by pass through you mean you are printing from a Linux app, through your serial (ICE-TEN) connection, and printing to a printer attached to your Windows machine.

I'm not sure what's happening. For pass through printing, the Linux app sends a specific emulation code, that tells ICE TEN to direct subsequent data to the printer. Since the first print job works, this part seems to be working. When the app finishes sending the print job, it sends a different code to tell ICE TEN to stop redirecting to the printer. If you get the screen or menu from the app after the print job, it means that this part also works.

This process should repeat the same for every print job. I can't think of anything that would make it stop working the second time around. It does not appear to be a problem with ICE TEN sending the job to the printer; otherwise you would get nothing to the screen (or the printer). The fact that you are getting the job on the screen means the app for some reason didn't send the printer start code the second time around, or ICE TEN didn't receive the code.

Presumably, it works again if you quit ICETEN and restart it?

JimN

jdgjoss

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:00:37 am »

First, I assume by pass through you mean you are printing from a Linux app, through your serial (ICE-TEN) connection, and printing to a printer attached to your Windows machine.

I'm not sure what's happening. For pass through printing, the Linux app sends a specific emulation code, that tells ICE TEN to direct subsequent data to the printer. Since the first print job works, this part seems to be working. When the app finishes sending the print job, it sends a different code to tell ICE TEN to stop redirecting to the printer. If you get the screen or menu from the app after the print job, it means that this part also works.

This process should repeat the same for every print job. I can't think of anything that would make it stop working the second time around. It does not appear to be a problem with ICE TEN sending the job to the printer; otherwise you would get nothing to the screen (or the printer). The fact that you are getting the job on the screen means the app for some reason didn't send the printer start code the second time around, or ICE TEN didn't receive the code.

Presumably, it works again if you quit ICETEN and restart it?

JimN
Yes if Ice Ten is restarted it works by printing the first job. I have read some other posts that have had similar problems and the solution was to print directly to the printer rather than going thru the windows spooler when i use this option in ice ten local print setup to print directly to the Ne port i get the message Ne port non existent or bad no matter what Ne port I try have verified thru windows that Ne01 is the correct port.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:42:14 pm »

I'm not sure you can use direct printing to all USB devices.

An important question, what version are you using?? There was a version about 2 back, that would lose the print method setting between jobs.

If you ARE using the latest version, try using raster printing instead of direct or normal.

jdgjoss

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:18:15 am »

we are using Ice Ten 4.7.14 version when I tried raster printing it prints staggered all over the page Lexmark T644 Laser printer

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:32:30 am »

The staggering means your app isn't adding carriage returns to the printed output. The raster print driver emulates a simple line printer. This requires CR/LF pairs at the end of each line (as do all printers actually). You should be able to correct that in your application or via the digi printing setup.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.