ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: ICE TEN won't open after install of McAfee  (Read 3337 times)

pearle8231

ICE TEN won't open after install of McAfee
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:27:43 pm »

Was using ICE TEN 4.7.15 uneventfully with AVG free. AT&T offered a McAfee Suite free so I installed it. After this I was unable to open Dejawin. I just got a black screen and hour glass. Win XP SP3 gave me a "not responding" error. So I proceeded to set the dejawin program rights to full in the McAfee firewall. It didn't help. Only when I reinstalled ICE TEN did it start working again. But I believe I had done this fix before to this machine, so the issue might not be solved. Are there any other ports that could be blocked? Is there another program that also needs permission? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

PS These are Dell Optiplex 740 boxes using a 9pin to RJ45 adapter to connect to an IBM3151 terminal emulation server running Red Hat Linux.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
Re: ICE TEN won't open after install of McAfee
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:35:38 am »

It would appear that McAfee firewall replaced a standard system library that ICE.TEN uses with something incompatible.

You could try installing the current trialware version on a PC that you are going to try the same update on BEFORE you update the PC, then see if it works afterwards. The logic here is that the newest version is less dependent on the standard windows libraries than the one you are running.

If that works you might want to upgrade your running version.

ICE.TEN doesn't use ports that a firewall would protect. Firewalls protect network ports, not serial ports.

pearle8231

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:58:03 pm »

I thought I was using the most current version (4.7.15). But, it has happened with an older offsite version too. I notice I don't have any issues with Vista machines. Can you think of another way to troubleshoot this?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:39:20 pm »

I can't think of anything else in particular. Maybe check to see if the McAfee is doing any monitoring of the serial ports? Make sure it hasn't turned on the fax service.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.