ICE

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ICETCP.PRO and ICETCP.PLUS are compatible with Windows 11!

Author Topic: Is ICE.TEN 4.7.14 compatible with Vista 64-bit using a USB to Serial Adapter?  (Read 5438 times)

Jeff.S

I have just replaced an old XP desktop (Intel) with a Vista 64-bit desktop (AMD).  Is ICE.TEN 4.7.14 (Intel Hosts) compatible with Vista 64-bit desktop (AMD)?  The software starts, and I see DEJAWIN text in the application window, but I don't get a connection to the server.  The DEJAWIN settings are the same as before except that the port is different, which matches the port on the USB to Serial Adapter (Sewell SW-1301 with Vista 64-bit drivers).  I have set DEJAWIN to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode just in case.

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist

Yes, 4.7.14 is compatible with Vista. Not ALL usb to serial adapters work however. We have had good luck with the Belkin F5U-109/409 models.

There is no fixed convention for numbering USB adapters. If you get a blank screen you might just be talking to the internal modem (if you machine has one).

Try typing AT and hitting Enter (don't expect the AT to echo back, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't).

If you get OK then you are talking to the modem. Try a different com port.

Jeff.S

Unfortunately, the Belkin USB to Serial Adapter does not have the Vista 64-bit drivers.  They only have the 32-bit drivers.  http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5U409&aid=5368&scid=1

I am using COMM 4 as COMM1, 2, & 3 are in use.  I attempted to type "AT" at the prompt in DEJAWIN, but I am unable to type as AT does not appear on the screen.  The screen is not BLANK.  It does display the DEJAWIN software version text.

Has anyone else had success with a USB to Serial adapter on Vista 64-bit?

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist

Unfortunately, the Belkin USB to Serial Adapter does not have the Vista 64-bit drivers.  They only have the 32-bit drivers.  http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5U409&aid=5368&scid=1

Ok, adding that to the knowledge bank..

I am using COMM 4 as COMM1, 2, & 3 are in use.  I attempted to type "AT" at the prompt in DEJAWIN, but I am unable to type as AT does not appear on the screen.  The screen is not BLANK.  It does display the DEJAWIN software version text.

As I said, you may not SEE the AT when you are typing it but if you do it blindly and hit enter and get OK back you are talking to the modem.
If there wasn't something on the port you are trying you'd get a "port bad/nonexistent" error.

Has anyone else had success with a USB to Serial adapter on Vista 64-bit?

Try different port numbers. Work your way up from com1 - com9. Try hyperterminal (using the COM ports). Try the loopback test. Maybe your cabling is off. Make sure your handshaking protocol in ICE is none or xon/xoff.

HarrySacks

Dejawin cannot find com.port on Vista 32 bit...get error message #2...using a serial to usb cable...it worked on my

Xp operating system.....any suggestions???????????????????????????

Bob

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist

Do you actually have a driver for the USB -> Serial device?

You could look under communications ports in the device manager (one port might be a built in modem so you need to verify it's your USB converter by unplugging it and see if the com port goes away).

If you can see a comm port in device manager, try that port in iceconfig.

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist
  • Place Personal Text Here

Another customer indicated:  Another vendor that seems to have good support is Keyspan. The USA-19HS is a current model that should work.  I don't know if they have a 64-bit version.

ladydi

Is Ice ten compatible with Windows 7 64 bits?

deanna

• Administrator
  • Ice Artist

I believe we spoke on the phone shortly after you posted here.  As I advised on the phone, if you have version 4.7.12, you certainly can try to install on a Win7 64-bit PC.  Any build older than 4.7.12 is extremely doubtful to work on a 64-bit PC.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.