INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pane Tagging tips and tricks?  (Read 1759 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Pane Tagging tips and tricks?
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:09:37 am »

I've been doing some Pane Tagging and can't seem to figure out something basic.

Example:  I want to tag the Genre for a couple of albums.  I have a panes view set up that shows Genre in a pane.  I search or select from the Artist and Album panes and find one I want to change.  Then I look at the Genre pane and see only a few genres listed.  I know the Genre pane is only showing the Genres that are contained in the albums I have selected.  This is logical.  But then, how do I use Pane Tagging if there's nothing in the Genre pane I can tag with?  Like if it shows "rock" and "unassigned", but I want to tag the Genre as "blues"?  If blues isn't listed, I can't use Pane Tagging to tag it as blues.

In these cases I open the Left Navigation Tagging Pane (Alt-Enter) and pull down the tagging drop down list and select from there.  This works just fine and it's sorta fast.  But I keep wondering why I need to do this, when Pane Tagging is supposed to be such a powerful solution.

Am I missing something, or is this how everyone works around this behavior?

Anything else about Pane Tagging I might not know that would make things faster and better?

Thanks,

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Pane Tagging tips and tricks?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:10:33 am »

Just check the box 'New genre' and type in the value.  It'll auto-complete using all the files in your library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

Re: Pane Tagging tips and tricks?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 04:19:00 pm »

^ Oh interesting.

I'm familiar with this in the Left Navigation Tagging Pane, and it pops up matches as you type, just below the text entry box.  I just tried it in Panes Tagging mode and at first thought it didn't work.  Then I noticed it was popping up the matches in a box *behind* the text entry box.  I'm attaching a screen shot.

As usual, I posted this question in the Windows forum because it gets all the traffic and most of the expert help.  But I'm running MC21 on a Mac.  I'm guessing this is a Mac specific behavior difference.  Should I start a new thread in the MC21 for Mac forum?

Thanks for the help.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up