INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Android Hardware Recommendations  (Read 6355 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
JRemote Android Hardware Recommendations
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:35:48 pm »

I'm considering getting a tablet of some sort to run JRemote.  I've seen it on a late model Ipad and it was awesome.  I haven't seen it run on an Android tablet yet.  Couple of questions:

1.  Does JRemote for android run as nicely as JRemote for ios?
2.  Is a 7" or 8" tablet big enough on Android?  The 9.X screen on the ipad I played with seemed just about right.  Not sure if going down to an 8" would be really bad, or just a tiny step down.
3.  Hardware recommendations.  I've read a thread or two about incompatible android hardware.  I've found some deals on a few tablets and would like opinions:

A.  Samsung Nexus 7, 2012 model
B.  Samsung Galaxy Note 8 .  I think that's what it is, as it's an 8" and the vendor was calling it a "Note".
C.  Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

Thanks,

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRemote Android Hardware Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:13:16 pm »

2.  Is a 7" or 8" tablet big enough on Android?  The 9.X screen on the ipad I played with seemed just about right.  Not sure if going down to an 8" would be really bad, or just a tiny step down.

That should be plenty.  It looks great on my (admittedly very large-screened) phone, and it looks pretty good on 7-inch and 8-inch tablet screens as well.   I actually prefer the way it looks on slightly smaller screens (I think it looks better on a 7" screen than a 10" screen personally).

3.  Hardware recommendations.  I've read a thread or two about incompatible android hardware.  I've found some deals on a few tablets and would like opinions:

A.  Samsung Nexus 7, 2012 model
B.  Samsung Galaxy Note 8 .  I think that's what it is, as it's an 8" and the vendor was calling it a "Note".
C.  Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

The "Note" in Samsung land just means it comes with an integrated stylus that communicates with the tablet (i.e. you can see where it will land before it does, and it has a button that can be programmed and other neat tricks).  The Note line also generally have nicer hardware than the Tab line (the note has a better processor as between those two), and the Note in your lineup also has slightly better guts (and IMO a nicer screen) than the 2012 Nexus 7.  

My wife has the 2014 version of that Note tablet and she absolutely loves it.  I have the Note phone exactly because of the high-quality stylus (almost no other devices on the market have a stylus that works as well).  JRemote looks great on both, but I actually prefer it on the phone myself.

So I would almost certainly recommend the Note if it weren't for the fact that it ships with Android jellybean (4.1), but the nexus ships with the same version, and the Tab is only at 4.2.  

4.1 is the minimum version for compatibility with JRemote right now, so buying in or near the minimum spec is a little risky.  It should work, but who knows what will happen in the future.  But just because the tablets ship with 4.1 doesn't mean that they won't get one or two version upgrades.  You might want to research whether samsung/google are offering OS upgrades for those models before you make a decision (for example, I've seen conflicting discussion about whether the 2013 Note 8 got 4.4 or not). That said, you can always root them and do your own upgrades to Cyanogen Mod or whatever, if you're comfortable voiding your warranty.  I'm running JRemote on CM 12/Lollipop on a little development board I've got (an exynos 4412, a close cousing of the chip in those samsung tablets) and it works pretty well.

I can't comment on differences between ios and android though as I've not used the ios version.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 03:47:22 am »

So I would almost certainly recommend the Note if it weren't for the fact that it ships with Android jellybean (4.1), but the nexus ships with the same version, and the Tab is only at 4.2

The Nexus 7 2012 was updated to 5.1 by Google, FWIW.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:55:11 am »

Quote from: mwillems
I can't comment on differences between ios and android though as I've not used the ios version.

I'm sort of the same boat, but for my phone -- thinking of abandoning my iphone and going Android though I'm sticking with my ipad

can someone confirm that the UI and functionality is exactly the same .. or if everything couldn't be ported over what are the differences?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:18 am »

The Nexus 7 2012 was updated to 5.1 by Google, FWIW.

That's encouraging.  It looks like the note did get 4.4, but that will be the end of updates for it (through official channels).

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:43:28 am »

Hmm. I was just reading through the thread on JRemote for Android.  It seems like it's targeted differently than JRemote for ios.  It's "optimized for phones", as opposed to tablets.  It seems to be a little bit less capable.  Thread here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96348.400

Until I can see or experience a demo, I think I'm back to wanting JRemote on an ipad.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 10:26:29 am »

Hmm. I was just reading through the thread on JRemote for Android.  It seems like it's targeted differently than JRemote for ios.  It's "optimized for phones", as opposed to tablets.  It seems to be a little bit less capable.  Thread here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96348.400

Until I can see or experience a demo, I think I'm back to wanting JRemote on an ipad.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Brian.
uh, oh ... that's not promising  :'(.. Looking on the website for it, doesn't say anything about differences http://www.jremote.net/ I was even hoping that the Graphics and UI elements/functions would leach back to the main program and it would be applied cross platform with the master license and all.

Still if anyone could give me what hasn't been ported over, I'd appreciate it

Is there are comparison chart anywhere?  Does it handle "assets"? Remote access?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 10:40:30 am »

Remote access works.  Local playback works.  Hardware volume buttons work.  Zone playback works.  Everything I've tested works. (Not sure what you mean by "assets"?)

I haven't really identified anything that doesn't work, but I don't know what the ios feature set it is so I can't actually do a head to head.  

If you're familiar with Gizmo, JRemote does everything gizmo does except for cache-ahead of files, chromecast support, and the "pretend to be an IR remote for theater view" thing.  On the flip side, JRemote does allow for playing back audio files in the original format which Gizmo does not allow.  Otherwise they have the same functionality as far as I've tested (with different presentation obviously).

I still use Gizmo when I'm out of the house because of the caching feature, but I use JRemote at home.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:42:39 am »

There aren't many differences between the Android and iOS versions. 

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 11:00:21 am »

Remote access works.  Local playback works.  Hardware volume buttons work.  Zone playback works.  Everything I've tested works. (Not sure what you mean by "assets"?)

I haven't really identified anything that doesn't work, but I don't know what the ios feature set it is so I can't actually do a head to head. 

If you're familiar with Gizmo, JRemote does everything gizmo does except for cache-ahead of files, chromecast support, and the "pretend to be an IR remote for theater view" thing.  On the flip side, JRemote does allow for playing back audio files in the original format which Gizmo does not allow.  Otherwise they have the same functionality as far as I've tested (with different presentation obviously).

I still use Gizmo when I'm out of the house because of the caching feature, but I use JRemote at home.

assets are what pops up when you hit the paperclip icon from the playing now screen ...  it also lets you show additional cover art, and pdf files from the album folder you are playing from ... you can read the album notes, or the booklet they give sometimes with digital purchases, I even have some full librettos for some operas .. pretty cool.

Anyways good to know the functionality is all there, thx. But I meant to ask to confirm that the UI looks and works the same also  - which is really great about JRemote on an iPad.  Reading Brian's link to the other post sounded like tablet views are not as "developed"? It's my "pretty face" for family members -- Gizmo didn't cut it  :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 11:02:28 am »

assets are what pops up when you hit the paperclip icon from the playing now screen ...  it also lets you show additional cover art, and pdf files from the album folder you are playing from ... you can read the album notes, or the booklet they give sometimes with digital purchases, I even have some full librettos for some operas .. pretty cool.

I've never seen such a paperclip, but I don't have any of those kinds of "assets" so I don't know if that feature is present in Android.  It sounds cool though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up