INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is TitanTV Better?  (Read 36970 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is TitanTV Better?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:44 pm »

This is all I care about. I just want to make sure recordings get enough information for Automatic Metadata Lookup to work right. 

The trouble with that is, what if someone wants to record all movies made by a particular director? The basic information in the EPG often won't include Director, and a user certainly couldn't rely on it. Other examples of key data that might be used to select what to record and Actor names, all movies, all comedy/Sci-Fi/Action movies, all David Attenborough's works, Anime made before 2000, The Big Bang Theory - Season 5 only, etc.

All those sorts of selection criteria for recording rules require all the programs to be looked up before the program is aired and recorded, not after the fact as MC does. I don't look through my Guide data and look up all that sort of stuff. That is what I want a computer to do for me. You know, actually save me time rather than just give me more work to do. I think I would be in the majority here as well, if users were given the option.

With those sort of recording rules, based on good quality EPG data, I could always have something interesting recorded waiting for me to watch. Legally recorded, rather than downloaded.

This is an area where MC is lagging miles and miles behind other, usually older solutions, such as DigiGuide, BeyondTV, Sage, Big Screen EPG with a good EPG source, and so on. MC almost misses the point of having a good EPG. The basic design of the EPG process in MC means that reliably gathering the data for the above data can only be done using external programs, and loaded into MC using XMLTV files.

But then, MC doesn't have the recording rules capabilities to select programs based on the additional information. It can only select based on the program name, or part thereof. Pretty lame really, or at least very, very basic, and missing out on enormous potential.

DigiGuide looks like it uses various Grabbers and/or Scrappers to gather its data. This approach has been used a lot in Australia, but it is usually met pretty quickly with changes in the source web sites so that Scrappers don't work. Grabbers which used approved methods of downloading the data were removed years ago, which is why Scrappers have been used extensively. We still have one source, Shepherd, which is supposed to use a range of Scrappers that are "self correcting" if a web site changes. But it is Linux based and pretty old now, so I'm not sure if it still works. Astromo was going to have a look at some time. DigiGuide also seems to get data from the IMDB site. I thought that was stopped some time back, at least without a licence to do so. Maybe DigiGuide has some grandfathered approval, or maybe that part no longer works.

I'd love a simple description of what is needed to get Series, Season, and Episode tags filled as reliably as is possible for US users.  If there is a good thread, a link would be useful.

I've never seen one good thread or write-up to do even just that, as there are so many sources, and data is different for different areas, and people use different services to receive TV. We now have supposedly multiple EPG sources for the US, zap2it (via zap2xml), Rovi (via mc2xml independently or via MC), and Schedules Direct (via mc2xml, and ??). Pick your poison!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »

I've never seen one good thread or write-up to do even just that, as there are so many sources, and data is different for different areas, and people use different services to receive TV. We now have supposedly multiple EPG sources for the US, zap2it (via zap2xml), Rovi (via mc2xml independently or via MC), and Schedules Direct (via mc2xml, and ??). Pick your poison!
How about "Rod's Guide to TV in Australia"?  We're counting on you.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2015, 07:12:15 pm »

DigiGuide also seems to get data from the IMDB site. I thought that was stopped some time back, at least without a licence to do so. Maybe DigiGuide has some grandfathered approval, or maybe that part no longer works.

It still works; you can actually see the data being gathered (in a window) by DG's Grabber as it runs.  I believe the reason it still works (IMDb that is) is because the Grabber does not get the IMDb data from the IMDb site itself but from my hard drive which I downloaded the IMDb data to. The grabber has an option button to download all the IMDB data to my hard drive then it uses that downloaded data when it grabs the SD data. As the IMDb data is a manual download by me (clicking on the IMDb download button) & not the DG Grabber that may be how they get around the legal issues.

I re-download the IMDb data about once every 6 months or so as there are not that many changes over time.  It can be download as often as one thinks necessary if you want to really keep up to the minute on new movie data, ratings, etc.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2015, 07:30:29 pm »

Here is an example of DG Grabber manual IMDb download to my hard drive. There are 6 separate downloads that run one after another; it takes about 5 minutes to get them all.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »

The IMDb site that I use to download IMDb data to my hard drive looks very much like a Public site as it is VERY plain & has no disclaimers...

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.imdb.com/pub/

You will have to paste the above link into your browser for it to work.  For some reason it will not work directly when clicking on it from within this forum. Not sure why this is but I have seen it before on a few other links.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2015, 08:01:56 pm »

You could visit imdb.com to read about it.  It's owned by Amazon.  Not public.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2015, 08:03:19 pm »

How about "Rod's Guide to TV in Australia"?  We're counting on you.

Eventually. But even that won't help Glynor with his US EPG, much. Different countries have such different requirements.

But for Australia: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100236.msg694719#msg694719
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »

You could visit imdb.com to read about it.  It's owned by Amazon.  Not public.

Interesting; thanks Jim.

Totally different sites, I wonder if there is the "Official" site (Amazon) and a "Legacy" site that DG Grabber can use? "Pub" is used several times in the IMDb link & the site is very plain Jane with nothing but the data showing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »

No.  IMDB is IMDB.  Someone else may be using their data.

DocLotus

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2015, 08:18:44 pm »

No.  IMDB is IMDB.  Someone else may be using their data.

Interesting; it's been there for years.  Seems that Amazon or the previous owners would have had it taken down but then again maybe Amazon turns a "blind eye" to such things.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2015, 08:29:05 pm »

http://ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.imdb.com/pub/

The actual address of the site you use is:
Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.imdb.com/pub/The forum just added a http to the front.

That site is a mirror of the real site, which is:
Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.imdb.com/pub/, and no longer works.

The site you use is run by the Finnish ministry of education! Claiming freely distributable material. Hmm, I think not, now that Amazon own IMDB. The mirror does still seem to be updated though, with the latest update on September 11th 2015. This is how DigiGuide is getting around legal access to the IMDB data.

Probably not a good method for commercial software to use.

DocLotus

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:01 pm »

Sounds kind of like Schedules Direct (we're not supposed to use it but do).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up