INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the difference between the selections in Playing Now  (Read 2786 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
What is the difference between the selections in Playing Now
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:41 pm »

On the side of my JRiver user screen where it lists Audio, Playlists etc it also has a listing for Playing Now.  Under Playing Now it has the following selections: Overview, Player, Living Room - Sonos Playbar Media Renderer (I use this to stream my library to the Sonos device) and Playing From Main Library.  Under Playing From Main Library there are additional selections including Main Library, a local IP address i.e. 000.000.0.0 Living Room Sonos Media Server and Add Library.

I've never used a selection from Playing From Main Library.  What is the difference between the selection under Playing Now as Sonos Playbar Media Renderer and that from Playing From Main Library IP address Sonos Playbar Media Server.  Is there any functional or audio quality playback advantage from one selection to the other?

If there is an advantage to using the Sonos as a Server versus a Renderer it appears I have to load my library within that tool,  Is that correct?  Are there other considerations about why I would use one selection over the other?

I sincerely appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is the difference between the selections in Playing Now
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »

The selections at the top of Playing Now are the To destinations.  They are places you can send music to.  Overview just shows all of them together as a summary.  As I think you know, you can have independent lists playing in each of the zones that are shown.

Down below where it says "playing from Main Library", those are From sources.  Main Library is your MC library on your local machine.  If you create additional libraries, they will show up there as well.  But MC also shows you Network library sources in this area.  I believe it shows both native MC library servers *and* DLNA servers.  Here's a little info and a picture from the wiki:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network#Ways_to_Connect

With your Sonos, I wouldn't think you would want to try to PULL music from the Sonos TO MC.  Rather, you'd want to send MC's music to the Sonos device.  Which is how you are doing it now, with Sonos set up as a zone up top.

I hope this answers some questions for you.

Brian.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What is the difference between the selections in Playing Now
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:46:34 pm »

The selections at the top of Playing Now are the To destinations.  They are places you can send music to.  Overview just shows all of them together as a summary.  As I think you know, you can have independent lists playing in each of the zones that are shown.

Down below where it says "playing from Main Library", those are From sources.  Main Library is your MC library on your local machine.  If you create additional libraries, they will show up there as well.  But MC also shows you Network library sources in this area.  I believe it shows both native MC library servers *and* DLNA servers.  Here's a little info and a picture from the wiki:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network#Ways_to_Connect

With your Sonos, I wouldn't think you would want to try to PULL music from the Sonos TO MC.  Rather, you'd want to send MC's music to the Sonos device.  Which is how you are doing it now, with Sonos set up as a zone up top.

I hope this answers some questions for you.

Brian.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll read from the link and try and figure out how to do it that way. I know the way I'm doing it doesn't fully use JRiver features and mostly is just a data manager so if I'm can get this to work I'm hoping to be able to use the audio tools from JRiver.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002
Pages: [1]   Go Up